Can i use a socket 775 CPU in a socket 771?

Aastii

VIP Member
A music server, and something that can broadcast internet radio, too. I almost fainted after seeing the price of that thing. How can a CPU cost $1,549??!!!

A HUNDRED AND FIFTY WATT PROCESSOR!?!? What the hell, that is a silly amount of power pull, i'd hope for something much less pricey too run if it is costing that much to buy in the first place

Zatharus

VIP Member
Like I said... Xeons are not cheap. The ram for that motherboard won't be either. I take it that the motherboard requires FB DIMMS?

And people wonder why the MacPros are expensive... It isn't just the Apple name. :rolleyes:

For a simple music server and something that will broadcast a 32-128kb/s internet radio stream, you could get an Atom based MSI wind micro computer for under $300 with RAM and a hard drive. Seriously...are you just trying to use what you have lying around for a home project? Or do you want to host a network stream for hundreds of thousands of listeners? I'm just trying to gauge the scope of your project.

Zatharus

VIP Member
:eek: :eek: Well, at least it has dual cache for a total of 21 MB, is that right? But, still at 2.4 GHz & 1066 FSB, just how much faster is that from a Q6600?:confused:

Yes, that processor has a total of 21MB of cache between the L2 an L3 caches. You are looking at a commercial/industrial, server grade processor. This is not "consumer" level hardware. The Xeon E7450 will crush the Q6600. Did you notice that it is a 6-core processor as well? In comparison the Q6600 is only a quad-core. But, the differences in the archetecture don't stop there...

douche

Did you notice that it is a 6-core processor as well? In comparison the Q6600 is only a quad-core. But, the differences in the archetecture don't stop there...

I almost forget about the 6 cores, too. What else makes this worth a whooping 2 grand??

just a noob

Yes, that processor has a total of 21MB of cache between the L2 an L3 caches. You are looking at a commercial/industrial, server grade processor. This is not "consumer" level hardware. The Xeon E7450 will crush the Q6600. Did you notice that it is a 6-core processor as well? In comparison the Q6600 is only a quad-core. But, the differences in the archetecture don't stop there...

there's also quad socket motherboards out there(i think i'm thinking of the right chip) but the layout just kind of sucks on them, then i think you only get 2 pci-x slots with it for $1000, i just prefer the amd opteron's if i were to have a rendering machine(not really sure why else you need that many cores)

bomberboysk

there's also quad socket motherboards out there(i think i'm thinking of the right chip) but the layout just kind of sucks on them, then i think you only get 2 pci-x slots with it for $1000, i just prefer the amd opteron's if i were to have a rendering machine(not really sure why else you need that many cores)

One word- Folding:p

just a noob

nah, folding on gpu's is much more effiecient, for the same price as the quad socket boards, and processors(for the amd's its around 10K with ram and everything) you could have 6 rigs with 4 9800gx2's in them(you can pick them up for around $250), the k9a2(whatever its called, the one with four pcie slots), and an amd 7750 kuma

bomberboysk

nah, folding on gpu's is much more effiecient, for the same price as the quad socket boards, and processors(for the amd's its around 10K with ram and everything) you could have 6 rigs with 4 9800gx2's in them(you can pick them up for around $250), the k9a2(whatever its called, the one with four pcie slots), and an amd 7750 kuma

Yeah, im just stating one possible use of it, and for rendering anymore you can do the same thing on gpu's with cuda lol.

just a noob

ye olde quad socket board with either xeon or opteron lol, like bomber pointed out, you could just use cuda on the gpu instead of the cpu's

douche

Supply/demand and chip yields. This is also Intel's premium product. Why does a Mercedes-Benz SLR class vehicle cost more than a C-class vehicle?

What do you mean by "Supply/demand and chip yields"?:confused:

Also, regarding my music server, i'm NOT sure whether i want to "host a network stream for hundreds of thousands of listeners." But, suppose i do, how fast a CPU would that require? AFAIK, the speed of my wired/wireless NIC is more important, right?

just a noob

he means that intel only gets x amount of chips actually capable of running at those specifications, but they can't just slap the chips on a pcb and say its ready to go, they actually have to go through these chips(binning) to find the chips capable of running at the lowest voltage and heat output

Zatharus

VIP Member
What do you mean by "Supply/demand and chip yields"?:confused:

Also, regarding my music server, i'm NOT sure whether i want to "host a network stream for hundreds of thousands of listeners." But, suppose i do, how fast a CPU would that require? AFAIK, the speed of my wired/wireless NIC is more important, right?

Supply and demand in this case meaning: Not as big of a market for these chips as for the Core 2/i7 chips which in turn means higher prices since less are made. And, yes, like just a noob was saying, not all the chips that come off the fabricated wafer are actually usable. They have to be tested and confirmed working at the desired speeds. The Xeons are complex chips and with that much cache on the die, they are also very, very costly to produce in quantity because of the complexity. High complexity usually means low yeilds.

Well, honestly, if you are contemplating that kind of a workload and audience, you will need a serious data pipeline and more than one server. To get started, pick a Xeon (or two in your case) of any speed. They will work. You are looking at spending several thousand anyway right?

Bodaggit23

What exactly is the difference between an i7 920 and the Xeon X5550?

Besides the higher QPI, I don't see any difference for the price. At that
price, I'd rather have the 965 Extreme.

Zatharus

VIP Member
What exactly is the difference between an i7 920 and the Xeon X5550?

Besides the higher QPI, I don't see any difference for the price. At that
price, I'd rather have the 965 Extreme.

In many ways they are the same. The differences that break them apart are subtle but important:

1 - The i7 920 only has one QPI, thus only supporting a single processor per motherboard. The Xeon X5550 has 2 QPIs, thus supporting two processors per motherboard.

2 - The Xeon has support for ECC memory.

3 - The thread balancing is slightly different for the Xeon and could give it a very slight advantage over the i7.

4 - If you look closely, the TDP for the Xeon is also lower (95W vs 130) and has a higher thermal spec (75C vs 68C).

EDIT: As just a noob pointed out below, the Xeons also have a lower voltage range compared to the i7s (.75 - 1.35V vs .80 - 1.375V)

Essentially, the new Nehalem i7/Xeon lines are from the same mold. The i7 was Intel's rush to get their new technology (integrated memory controller - well, new to their CPUs anyway). In actual performance, you will see little difference. In some ways, the i7 chips are not typical "consumer" chips. That will probably fall to the i5 series (a true Core 2 replacement) whenever they ship.

The reason you are seeing the massive price difference is not only because of the differences mentioned above, but the Xeon chips are manufactured to much higher tolerances and only the cream of the crop make it out of the nursery (note point 4). These chips are the industrial grade processors designed to function more efficiently and in harsher, more demanding environments. They can take more punishment while still functioning at peak capacity - hence why they are commonly known as server grade processors. This higher quality standard results in lower yeilds compared to the i7s as I mentioned before. Not all the chips that come off the wafer are going to meet the stringent requirements to be a Xeon processor.

Last edited: