Can I use an access point with a wireless router?

RockyM

Hi - I have a wired PC on one end of mu house and a wireless PC set on on the other side of the house (only about 50 feet apart). I bought a DLink 2100 access point hoping to use it as a repeater to my DI624 wireless router. I've tried everything with DLink support and can't get the signal to repeat, so I'm think about returning it. However, I'm think about using it as an access point. If I connect a long ethernet cable from my wireless router to the access point around the middle of my house (I'll have to hide it under the rug or something or my wife won't be happy), will the access point then basically repeat the same signal of the wireless router? I'm trying to get a stronger signal to the wireless PC end of the house. Or, should I try one of those extra omni directional antennas?

Thanks for the help.

RockyM

Thanks. But if my router is a wireless router, would that be two different wireless signals being transmitted (the router and the AP) or is it the same signal?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you're using the WAP in tandem then it would be one signal (but that would be kinda pointles) ... running it separate would mean two signals but it depends on how you wanna use it :p