can i use my restart cd on another computer?

andyzplace

hey, i have an e-machines computer and re-start cd and ym girlfriends (unknown) package computer really could do with an overhaul. could i use my cd to restart he machine and put xp back on or woul it just destroy it further?

cheers in advance, andy

apj101

VIP Member
no that is illegal, your xp cd provides you with one licence and you are not allowed to install it on other machines, nor will it work.

Here ends the discussion

alanuofm

VIP Member
well if your gf has her own xp serial number you can do that legally. if the computer is purchased via retail there should be a serial number sticker on the side or back somewhere

DanLatimer

right alanuofm but make sure that your XP is the same as her serial (HOME and PRO arent the same and a serial for HOME wont work with PRO)

andyzplace

cool, cheers guys. im not trying to do anything dodgey here. i dont remember typing in any codes when i restarted my machine though? arent they automatic?

alanuofm

VIP Member
when you first reinstall xp it usually asks for you to validate windows within 30 days. what kind of computer does your gf have?

andyzplace

ah yeah. i have never done that. i didnt have the internet for a while so i didnt bother. im really not sure what computer she has. it was just a bought package however it did come with xp and has got the valid codes etc on the side

Lax

VIP Member
cool, cheers guys. im not trying to do anything dodgey here. i dont remember typing in any codes when i restarted my machine though? arent they automatic?

Yes and No. With a re-install disk (such as the one you're talking about) they might be automatic, because it is streamlined into the disk. Installing a fresh copy of windows with a vaild XP disk you are required to put the code in. So trying to install your windows on her machine is indeed illegal if it already has a serial key bound to your machine. If it is an actual XP disk and you need a serial, then yes, you can install it on her machine, so long as you use her serial that CAME with her machine.

apj101

VIP Member
well if your gf has her own xp serial number you can do that legally. if the computer is purchased via retail there should be a serial number sticker on the side or back somewhere
most recovery cds i have worked with, as the one you are describing do not afford this option.

With a re-install disk (such as the one you're talking about) they might be automatic, because it is streamlined into the disk.
exactly.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
in my experience recovery disks will only work on the machine they came, i believe they look for specific hardware ID's

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member

Yes and No. With a re-install disk (such as the one you're talking about) they might be automatic, because it is streamlined into the disk. Installing a fresh copy of windows with a vaild XP disk you are required to put the code in. So trying to install your windows on her machine is indeed illegal if it already has a serial key bound to your machine. If it is an actual XP disk and you need a serial, then yes, you can install it on her machine, so long as you use her serial that CAME with her machine.
Sounds like its a restoreCD rather than a windowsCD so it really wont matter (because odds are it wont work)

in my experience recovery disks will only work on the machine they came, i believe they look for specific hardware ID's
Well i dont think they are that specific but they are usually locked to a series or even brand.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i had a system once that had a recovery disk... i upgraded the ram, graphics and hard drive through the manufacturer... when i came to reinstall the OS it refused to work.
i think it looks at the DMI information... i suppose it'll depend on the manufacturer

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i think it looks at the DMI information... i suppose it'll depend on the manufacturer
Correct (but DMIs are hackable ... but that's starting to get excessively nitpicky)

Charlie7940

Well i dont think they are that specific but they are usually locked to a series or even brand.

Yes in most cases that is true. I must have gotten lucky then as I used my dell recovery cd to install XP on my custom build.