Can it be my hard drive?

JFJ1153

New Member
Well guys, The trojan virus or malware or whatever virus is still in my computer. I have been told that it could be in my hard drive. I was told for example if the hard drive is 500GB you have about 1 GB of memory that you can not format and the virus could be hiding in there. I have Kapersky 7.0 and when I run it I am told that there is no virus. My operating system is Windows Vista 64bit. Can anyone tell me how I can get this virus out of my computer? Or where else this virus can be hiding.
 
Reinstall the Windows. After format It'll be nothing left :)
When you are with 2 partiotions, you must format the the whole HDD and make new partiotions.
 
Reinstall the Windows. After format It'll be nothing left :)
.

That may be a "bit" premature yet !!
update your virus scanner then Try running in safe mode(usually tapping F8 during startup POST screen)
and run a scan again

Ideally remove HDD from infected pc and plug up as a slave on another pc to prevent any EXE files from initiating and preventing removal of BAD files ;)
 
That may be a "bit" premature yet !!
update your virus scanner then Try running in safe mode(usually tapping F8 during startup POST screen)
and run a scan again

Ideally remove HDD from infected pc and plug up as a slave on another pc to prevent any EXE files from initiating and preventing removal of BAD files ;)

I know known viruses/malware to block internet access except their own sites.

If you have nothing important on there, a reformat will do the most good. If you do, save everything to a flash drive/external HDD or such, and reformat.
 
I was told for example if the hard drive is 500GB you have about 1 GB of memory that you can not format and the virus could be hiding in there

um, no its like 100kb. Its called the master boot sector, and yes you can format it. If you want to do so, you will need your windows cd
 
If you've tried multiple virus scanners and are unable to get rid of the infection, you may want to consider backing up all your programs and files, (SCAN THEM FIRST) and do a reinstall of Windows.

Depending on your system specs and technical level, this can be a timely process, but sometimes its just easier to wipe everything out and start fresh. For me, a repartition, quick format and complete reinstall or XP takes 9 minutes and isn't that painful, but if you're on a older machine installing Vista, the process can take time.
 
One thing you can do is to buy a new hard drive and install OS.Then plug your HD in as a slave and run virus scans on it.

Transfer the information to the new HD then format the old drive.
 
I tried switching hard drives but my computer only recognizes the one with Vista on it. I also tried running a new hard drive on it and disconnected the one with Vista but it says the, "BOOT DISK FAILURE INSTALL OS CD AND PRESS ENTER>" or something very similar. I have nothing important on this drive and if I could just wipe it clean I would. When I replaced the hard drive with Vista on it and tried running my XP PRO cd it starts down loading the files and stops at I believe the windows kernnel ddl. From there it won't do anything. I know alot of people tell me to re format the hard drive but when I tried to it tells me that the C drive can not be formatted.
 
Back
Top