Can no longer remote (VNC) on LAN after new router (ASUS RT-N66U)

JTG2003

So I just upgraded my router to a ASUS RT-N66U. Since then, I am unable to access a few shared directories, ping some computers, and most importantly, I can no longer remote to my HTPC using Real VNC (was previously working fine). I can't even ping the HTPC anymore.. but I have confirmed that my HTPC has internet access. I confirmed that the windows firewall is not active on the HTPC (and the settings haven't changed since the last router).

I noticed the router had a firewall option which I disabled .. but didn't help.

Any idea of things I can try here? Using a mouse+keyboard on the HTPC is not practical and I don't have any to spare.

Thanks,
Jeremy

tremmor

Open the ports on the router. If it worked before its likely the ports are not open that you are using.

JTG2003

I opened them earlier, but I didn't expect it to do anything .. isn't the point of opening ports to allow internet traffic to communicate with devices on the network? This is being done over the LAN...

dave1701

Can you ping the VNC server computer from the VNC viewer computer? Have you made sure that you put the new IP address of the VNC server computer in VNC Viewer?