Can not get on the Internet

EINREB

I am not sure if this posting belongs here, but here it goes.
I was recently playing with an other computer I have, and tried to use a spare HD I had to try to see if I could use the computer with with a different OS. The original HD is running 7 and I decided to remove it (Just electrically, by disconnecting the power plug) and substitute it with my spare HD which I started to load with XP.
Everything went OK, but then the OS stated that it could not find an ethernet port, and could not go on the internet bcause of it. That was odd, because I had no problems with the original HD ( with 7 on it). I swapped the HDs and with that the OS back to 7, and sure enough, no problems going on the Internet. Clearly there was nothing wrong with the chips, cable or Server. But why is it that I coukl not get the ethernet chips to work in XP while they are working with 7?
Remember, nothing has changed except for the HDs and the OS on it. I tried to reset the cable modem by unplugging and reconnecting the power supply, something that often work with disconnection problems, but it did not work in this case.
Any ideas I can try? I tried XP's Internet connection program with no avail. It just does not see a etherport at all.
Any comments are appreciated.

cabinfever1977

you have drivers installed on the harddrive with windows 7, you need to install motherboard drivers on the harddrive with windows xp

EINREB

Thanks Fellows. I found the disk with all the drivers on it for the MB (AUDIO, VGA, CHIPSET, LAN and OTHERS) on it, loaded them in, no success. Did this twice, rebooted the computer twice, still no connection.
Do I have to do more? I do not remember having this problem before. Funny part is that when I disconnect the ethernet cable, a balloon pops up, telling me that the cable is unplugged. Does that beat them all!
BTW, MB is an MSI 880GM-P51

Last edited:

Hyper-Threaded

Download latest drives from msi for windows xp, put them on a flash drive, install them on the computer. Uninstall the ones you put on from the CD, see If that helps.

EINREB

UPDATE - Things started to work after I retyped my preference of the "home page to go to at power up" in the IE Tools page. Seems that somehow an unseen character in there send IE to an address that it did not exist, and thus IE displayed the "can not display this page" everytime I clicked on the IE shortcut. I interpeted it as if the computer could not connect at all, which was the case before I had downloaded the drivers.
I got wise when I entered the IE diagnostic page and it confirmed that I indeed was connected to the server, while previously it would inform me that there was no connection at all. (Also the little lights above the ethernet socket would not do anything, now they blink happily!)
Thus the suggestion that I should install the MB drivers did the trick, and I am back on the Internet. Thanks fellows. You all saved me a lot of aggravation!

Last edited: