Can only Visit one webpage need help

kermit

About two days ago I noticed I was having internet problems. I figured there was probably a ton of spyware etc. on my computer so I tried to reformat (or whatever its called) the Hard Drive. I thought I had it taken care of, Norton was gone, any of those annoying pop-up crap, etc. was gone.

Now I can only visit one website and that is the site to my internet provider. I can surf the entire site, check email, all that great stuff but cannot visit any other sites.

I talked to tier I, II, and III support and could finally visit a second page www.coke.com but then nothing.

under cmd I can only ping my provider www.cableone.net but no other sites they all timeout. But if I hook up my laptop I can surf the web just fine, in fact, I'm writing this now on my laptop.

I was told to call a tech. in town and they want $90 to look at my PC.

I'm bout ready to pull out my hair and my trigger finger is getting itchy because I can't play Call of Duty multiplayer.

I'm running XP HOME

Any advice guys?

Kermit

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Are the DNS server names properly typed in your connection properties? Can you access a site typing its server's IP instead of domain name?

kermit

Lorand said:
Are the DNS server names properly typed in your connection properties? QUOTE]

DNS is supposed to be set at "automatically detect settings" and they are checked and should work. I'm on the web, but I can only visit one site and my computer is already registered with my internet provider.

Could I possibly have an ethernet problem?

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
At the DNS settings there is "Obtain DNS server names automatically", not "Automatically detect settings". Go to connection properties / internet protocol / properties and verify if the data there is correct.

kermit

Lorand said:
At the DNS settings there is "Obtain DNS server names automatically", not "Automatically detect settings". Go to connection properties / internet protocol / properties and verify if the data there is correct.

Yes it is correct "Obtain DNS server address automatically" and it has been selected.

O yeah, I'll be working on this most of the night [Friday August 20] so I'll be on here most of that time.

kermit

Lorand said:
And these settings (IP, DNS) are the same for the laptop too?

I swear I double checked them. But for piece of mind I'll 2x check and should be back here around 7:15 Central Standard.

This is the first real problem I've had with XP or Norton. I wonder what I did to piss them off :rolleyes:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Try to put some DNS server addresses in the DNS settings (instead of "Obtain DNS server names automatically"). Here's a couple of DNS server names: