Can overclocking damage a computer?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Most manufactures dont list it, but I have seen a few that does. Usually if someome like Hardwaresecrets/Hardocp/pcper or like jonnyguru does a review of it, they might list it.

Okedokey,
Nice to see you once again.

Thanks for the PSU clarification.
It makes more sense now.
Mulitrail sounds like some kind of system that they just wanted to try out and see what happens.

electronmigration?
(Choke. Cough, Cough)

This does not sound good!
Can this lead to damage of your computer?:mad:
And electronmigration is ONLY caused by OC'ing, or it can happen any time?

spirit,
Hi there!

1. What I meant was, can the GPU, CPU, and RAM be OC'ed by upwards of a 50% increase if LNL is used?

2. A benchmark score is a number indicating the max speed of your CPU?

3. A stress test is how well your computer can handle "heat"?
(Which means that if you ran a stress test before you OC'ed, you'd have a general idea of how well your computer would handle an OC?)

4. So then why do they sell 6 Gig GPU's if you can ONLY use 5 Gig's of its performance?
Doesn't the manufacturer seem to be creating a bottlenecking situation right off the get go?

I Guess the board is one less thing that I have to clock then.
So it looks like here that there are really only 2 things that you can overclock: the GPU and CPU, that will make any difference.

Oh Yea, I forgot about computer technolgy being outdated every 6 months.
There IS "that" issue!

spirit
yes, the Intel chips are faster
That's what I thought.
Which means that potentially, Intel chips are better than AMD for OC'ing?

spirit
'GHz' (correct term is 'frequency' or 'clockspeed' by the way)
Yea, I've heard that too.
But its kind of confusing.
Its easier just to think of it as CPU speed.
And I know you said there are a lot of other "hidden" types of speed, but wouldn't the COMMON DENOMINATOR still "amount" to a result of CPU, given in the number indicated?

Captain Kirk
the system requirements for a new program was 7 GigHz, could a 6 core 3.3 GigHz be able to run it?
That's what I thought.
I was just checking.

StrangleHold,
Hello.

Okay, so the number indicated on the box it the TOTAL amount when added "together"
So if you split them, then you would divide this number by 3.

salvage-this,
Hi.

salvage-this
Is there a way to sell what connectors are on what rails?
I don't think it would matter.
All of your components would still be getting power;)
And you know what voltage the rail has (total) when you looked at the box, so you know the multirail system will run all of your components...

Captain Kirk

tech savvy

You cannot overclock laptops Kirk. Really not a good idea. I seriously doubt overclocking is the cause of your dying laptop.

And the PSU and CPU are not the same thing. The CPU is another name for your processor, and PSU is short for power supply unit. Completely different components.

Please don't miss led this person. Yes, most laptops can NOT be OCed, and yes, his laptop can NOT be OCed, but there are laptops that can be OCed. I know that MSI, ASUS, and a few others allow the user to OC if they desire.

Okedokey

The ATX design standards will tell you which 'rail' will power which component, but as a general rule, 12V_1 is CPU and the rest is the rest (except where it has EPS design).

Its quicker to forget all of that and simply go with the logic that you get what you pay for, go with quality brand, 5 year warranty, single 12V distribution, active pfc, large cooling fan and so on. Forget the other nonsense as multirail designs can be good quality, but not better.

spirit

Staff member
Please don't miss led this person. Yes, most laptops can NOT be OCed, and yes, his laptop can NOT be OCed, but there are laptops that can be OCed. I know that MSI, ASUS, and a few others allow the user to OC if they desire.

That's true, but yeah I meant to say that his laptop couldn't be overclocked sorry.

'Generally speaking', it's best not to overclock laptops because of the obvious heat issues, and most manufactures don't allow it anyway.

Okedokey

That's true, but yeah I meant to say that his laptop couldn't be overclocked sorry.

'Generally speaking', it's best not to overclock laptops because of the obvious heat issues, and most manufactures don't allow it anyway.

I would agree with your original comment actually. You may be able to overclock laptops, but to get any noticable improvement, you are risking serious overheating issues.

tech savvy,
Thanks for the reply!

tech savvy
his laptop can NOT be OCed, but there are laptops that can be OCed. I know that MSI, ASUS, and a few others allow the user to OC if they desire

Thanks tech savvy, that's just what I needed:
A expert that can give me details with clarification.
That answers my question.
Now I can go on to other matters about OC'ing.

Glad you made it tech savvy!!!

Okedokey
Hi!

Okedokey
.Forget the other nonsense as multirail designs can be good quality, but not better.
I appreciate all the expert advice here, this is really helping.
You have done it; you were able to make a confusing subject summed up into terms I can understand.
Its good to hear expert's opinion about how THEY feel about certain hardware/ideas to get a better understanding about the subject.

Okedokey
but to get any noticable improvement, you are risking serious overheating issues.
What I was trying to ask Spirit was if a OC'able laptop such as a P4+ could accomidate the ability of a custom cooler system that could allow for optimal OC'ing.
Maybe a more direct approach from an expert like you might be capable of answer this?
You seem to have a way of being able to fully answer my questions so that I don't have any more questions about it.

spirit,
Hey bro.

1. Should you conduct tests first BEFORE you OC a computer?

2. Do you need special software inorder to OC?

3. HOW do you OC?

Captain Kirk

spirit

Staff member
What I was trying to ask Spirit was if a OC'able laptop such as a P4+ could accomidate the ability of a custom cooler system that could allow for optimal OC'ing.
Maybe a more direct approach from an expert like you might be capable of answer this?
You might be able to but probably not worth the while really. The extra cooling would likely turn your laptop into a 'desktop replacement' meaning the portability of the laptop would be reduced.

I still wouldn't overclock a laptop. They get too hot, probably even when you have extra cooling too. Laptops will always be hotter than desktops when overclocked because obviously the desktops have better airflow.

spirit,
Hey bro.

1. Should you conduct tests first BEFORE you OC a computer?
No, do it after you've overclocked.

2. Do you need special software inorder to OC?
Like I've said in this thread before, I never recommend overclocking with any any sort of software, so no.

3. HOW do you OC?
In the BIOS. Each motherboard is slightly different though, but the very basic answer is 'by going into the BIOS and raising the multiplier of the CPU* and the voltage if you have to.'

*assuming you're using a multiplier unlocked CPU.

StrangleHold

Staff member
StrangleHold,
Hello.

Okay, so the number indicated on the box it the TOTAL amount when added "together"

No, on a multi rail the rated amps on each is just the limit that (one) rail can pull without tripping it.You dont add them together to get the max amps on the 12V rail. That is unless its a true multi rail, which we are not talking about.

So if you split them, then you would divide this number by 3.

Have no idea what your talking about.

Jamebonds1

[/U]Have no idea what your talking about.

I think he mean to talk about divide by three rail. So my answer is no. Because there are some PSU with mult rail that are not same amp. Such as 12V1 = 18A, 12V2 = 18A, 12V3 = 16A while all three are only 432 watt.

@Kirk, no, that is not how math work. You doing math by Watt= Amp X Volt per rail. Some PSU have all information such as watt, volt and amp. Watt is for max power, sometime.

EX: You are trying to discoving how much watt for 12V1 (it mean first 12 volt rail power) and you have 18 AMP. 18 (amp) X 12 (volt) = 216 (watt) See what I mean?

Okedokey

I think he mean to talk about divide by three rail. So my answer is no. Because there are some PSU with mult rail that are not same amp. Such as 12V1 = 18A, 12V2 = 18A, 12V3 = 16A while all three are only 432 watt.

@Kirk, no, that is not how math work. You doing math by Watt= Amp X Volt per rail. Some PSU have all information such as watt, volt and amp. Watt is for max power, sometime.

EX: You are trying to discoving how much watt for 12V1 (it mean first 12 volt rail power) and you have 18 AMP. 18 (amp) X 12 (volt) = 216 (watt) See what I mean?

Your explanation is actually incorrect as if you do what you explained for each rail you get the same mathematics (just backwards) as what Kirk said. You cannot add the rails, regardles of if you use ohms law.

The way it is worked out, is the TOTAL wattage that can be delivered on the 12V rail divided by 12V = amps available. Then you have to determine derating (on shitty PSUs that is 4W/oC above 25oC ) that the PSU will operate at, and then factor in if it is a max value or continuous.

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

Your explanation is actually incorrect as if you do what you explained for each rail you get the same mathematics (just backwards) as what Kirk said. You cannot add the rails, regardles of if you use ohms law.

The way it is worked out, is the TOTAL wattage that can be delivered on the 12V rail divided by 12V = amps available. Then you have to determine derating (on shitty PSUs that is 4W/oC above 25oC ) that the PSU will operate at, and then factor in if it is a max value or continuous.

No. That is not what I say. And I already say that watt is label max. Sometime but not always. And no, that is not ohm law mathematics i talk about. It can be used to finding amp or watt. Please read careful next time.

Also some psu have information of limit wattage on all three rail.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This is alot simpler then its been twisted into. I hate doing this but here goes.

You have a water hose with 40 PSI (40 amps). Its hooked to a connector with 4 water hoses coming off it, each with 15 PSI limit (15 amps) .You cant just add the 4 hoses together for the total of the main hose, which is only 40 PSI (40) amps.

Last edited: