Can overclocking damage processor?

Swapnil

I have heard that overclocking reduces system longevity, i want to whether it can cause damage to processor or ram?
If you know any other damage that can be caused by overclocking then please state it up.

yhahh

high voltage for the cpu reduce his longevity but it doesn't matter. you will not keep your processor 20 years, so if it die after 40 years instead of 50...

the main problems you will have with a high Vcore is that your CPU will need more and more volts and after a few month you may have to put up the voltage to keep your cpu stable in a lower frequence you had.
for example
today you have 4GHz (stable) and 1.4v in Vcore.
in a few month you may have to set the frequence to 3.7GHz and put up the Vcore to 1.5v
and so on...

[sorry for my spelling I'm french]

it can dammage the proccesser if you keep it at high temps like around 70 degrees celsius, for long periods, but if your just overclocking and you have a good cooler then you will be fine, just dont over do it because your proccesser will blow up lol, look up it on youtube

just a noob

depends on what your voltage is set to, 1.9 volts under liquid nitrogen, is probably a lifespan of 96 hours, you could probably get away with 1.4 volts on a 45nm processor, before you notice any silicon degeneration

Backwoods166

I have heard that overclocking reduces system longevity, i want to whether it can cause damage to processor or ram?
If you know any other damage that can be caused by overclocking then please state it up.

Yes it can. But remember, cpus are underclocked to very safe settings from the factory. They are rated for and can easy handle higher settings. I have seen many posts on people trying to kill there cpus without success. I saw one guy run his q6600 at 1.7 volts for months and gave up on trying to kill it.

Backwoods166

Here is one guy trying to kill his q6600 with heat rather than voltage, couldn't do it.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/416361-whats-best-way-kill-cpu-pics.html

so in the name of science, and making sure when this Q6600 CPU gets RMA'd there is no question as to if its bad i decided to try and cook this thing, or fry it via overvolting. the default vcore on this thing was a tad over 1.2v, so far i've gotten it to 1.5v and by taking the fan off the cpu cooler and using no thermal grease, i was able to get it up to 113 deg C according to Asus PC Probe and then the system just shuts down..... but it comes back to life again GRRRRRR!!!!!!

i had to snap a pic @ the 100 degree mark. interestingly enough OCCT starts showing crazy negative numbers over 100 degrees and the negative numbers get smaller as the temps increase.

so, what the heck am i doing wrong here? with all the care everyone takes to NOT fry their CPU's, you'd think this would be easy