Can somebody explain data transfer connections?

I don’t understand a whole bunch of things about computer connections for data transfer and I/O.

Are the transfer speeds on a certain type of connection based on the connection to the computer itself, or on the cables? And how do converters play into that mix?

For example, let’s say I have two USB 3.0 devices. I connect them via a USB 2 cable. Will the transfer speed be the same as that of USB 3 or 2? What if I have a Firewire 800 hard drive, use a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter to plug into my laptop. Will I receive at Thunderbolt speed or Firewire 800 speed? Also, does Thunderbolt 2 use a different cable than Thunderbolt 1? It would make sense to me that the data would always transfer at the speed of the slowest component, but I’ve heard otherwise from a few folks and forums (none of which are verifiably reliable) so I thought I’d ask here.

Someone explain this whole data transfer connection thing to me? =/

Thanks a ton!

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Are the transfer speeds on a certain type of connection based on the connection to the computer itself, or on the cables? And how do converters play into that mix?

It would make sense to me that the data would always transfer at the speed of the slowest component

You answered your question;) Raw transfer speed means nothing, how that data is utilized on the receiving end is what matters. You can have USB 3.0 sending stuff over at blazing speeds, but if it's attached to a 5400 RPM HDD, you're not getting 6.0GB/sec.