Can someone please explain Unix to me?

bmigga

I met a Unix administrator the other day who was explaining to me her job. It didn't cross my mind until later that night that I was thinking she was talking about Linux, not Unix. Aren't they similar though? I tried doing some research but still don't really understand what it is..

Troncoso

VIP Member
Unix is an Operating System, as well as a standard that other Operating Systems use.

Linux is based on UNIX, though, it's not an actual derivation of it.
People use the kernel to create their own Operating Systems.

Also, Unix, is generally used for servers, where Linux is used for Personal Computers.

bmigga

Unix is an Operating System, as well as a standard that other Operating Systems use.

Linux is based on UNIX, though, it's not an actual derivation of it.
People use the kernel to create their own Operating Systems.

Also, Unix, is generally used for servers, where Linux is used for Personal Computers.

So I COULD download Unix on my PC? What are some examples of Unix OS's? Besides Linux, of course.

So Linux is a form of a UNIX OS? & Is UNIX still used today? & Is UNIX the type of server OS that is command driven only? I know theres one of those.. I think.

Troncoso

VIP Member
So I COULD download Unix on my PC? What are some examples of Unix OS's? Besides Linux, of course.

So Linux is a form of a UNIX OS? & Is UNIX still used today? & Is UNIX the type of server OS that is command driven only? I know theres one of those.. I think.

You could download a Unix Operating System. Free BSD and Solaris are 2 examples.

Linux is NOT Unix. Linux itself isn't even an Operating System. Linux is based on UNIX, but was developed by someone else entirely.

Unix is still used and you can still find command line server UNIX OS's.

Jamebonds1

As linux user. Linux is a UNIX-like family but some other linux is Unix. Yes, Linux is a Operating System. Ubuntu, BSD, Mint and Solaris are all Linux OS. Unix are Commands, Kernel, Development Environment and Documentation.

Also, Mac OS X is a Unix.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Unix and Linux are both mainly used on servers, while Linux is far more prominent on the desktop than Unix, its desktop market share is still abysmal compared to its server warke share.

Anyway, Unix these days isn't any one system, it's more of a certification... Linux is what's considered "Unix-like", it's not true Unix but majority of things that apply to Linux apply to Unix as well and vice versa (since they as operating systems share many of the same goals and ideas). But if he was talking about Unix, he most likely was referring to Unix, though someone referring to himself as "Unix admin" and managing Linux systems as well and the other way around isn't unheard of.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
As linux user. Linux is a UNIX-like family but some other linux is Unix. Yes, Linux is a Operating System. Ubuntu, BSD, Mint and Solaris are all Linux OS. Unix are Commands, Kernel, Development Environment and Documentation.

Also, Mac OS X is a Unix.

Actually, Linux is a kernel. A Linux distribution is usually comprised of a number of applications (mostly GNU) that tie into the kernel.

Unix is (was) a full operating system, but it cost a lot (more than Windows, if you can believe that) for a license, so young Linus Torvalds wrote a kernel from scratch that was basically a reverse-engineered UNIX core.

BSD is not a Linux variant; it is actually a branch of the original UNIX, as is Solaris.

Jamebonds1

Actually, Linux is a kernel. A Linux distribution is usually comprised of a number of applications (mostly GNU) that tie into the kernel.

Unix is (was) a full operating system, but it cost a lot (more than Windows, if you can believe that) for a license, so young Linus Torvalds wrote a kernel from scratch that was basically a reverse-engineered UNIX core.

BSD is not a Linux variant; it is actually a branch of the original UNIX, as is Solaris.

Oh really? Can you post a link that BSD and Solaris is not Linux, please?

bmigga

Okay, so I'm hearing that Linux ISN'T an OS, then I'm hearing that Linux IS an OS, then I'm hearing that UNIX IS an OS, then I'm hearing UNIX ISN'T an OS.

Then hearing BSD belongs to Unix, then hearing BSD belongs to Linux.

..Still confused :/

salvage-this

Okay, so I'm hearing that Linux ISN'T an OS, then I'm hearing that Linux IS an OS, then I'm hearing that UNIX IS an OS, then I'm hearing UNIX ISN'T an OS.

Then hearing BSD belongs to Unix, then hearing BSD belongs to Linux.

..Still confused :/

I might be wrong here but I think that what they are trying to say is that Linux is not an operating system in itself. There is a Standard Linux Kernel that is the same across all versions of Linux. The operating systems are built off of that same Kernel and then branch out from there as Linux Based Operating Systems. By my understanding there are releases or Linux, but that is the releases of the Linux Kernel. Not the operating systems that are built off of it.

I am not going to comment on the UNIX part because I am not too sure about it.

EDIT: When people say they want to use Linux they are saying that they want to use an operating system based off of the Linux Kernel. Maybe that makes more sense.

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

Yeah. some people think linux is not a operating system but it is. Without Operating System, computer won't work.