can someone plz help me?

okay as you can see in my sig i have a vanta vl, which goes up to 2x...now how fast is 2x cuz my mobo supports upto 4x...and how many mhz is 4x? i'm so lost when it comes to graphix, and i watch alotta movies on my comp so what card if any should i get? price range b-tween 35-50$

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
AGP is 66MHz, so 4x mode has the equivalent transfer rate of 266MHz (about 1 GB/s). 2x is the equivalent of 133MHz transfer rate (~532MB/s). As for what card, movies don't need a really powerful card but I'd say a GeForce4/equivalent ATI or better will do really well. You can probaly get away with an older card like Radeon 7000 series or geforce2

well yes i understand lower performance is allowed as for movies but i was gunna install a game "counter strike" and i assume it needs alotta graphix power so i want a medium high-end card..i'm really bad with video cards so bare with me tyvm for input

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
original counter strike or CS: Source? the original can be run on the older cards without too much trouble

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
movies don't need a really powerful card but I'd say a GeForce4/equivalent ATI or better will do really well.
In fact movies can run off a basic VGA card as the decoding is done by the CPU.... of course this excludes rendered cutscenes

well yes I understand lower performance is allowed as for movies but I was gunna install a game "counter strike" and I assume it needs alotta graphix power so I want a medium high-end card..i'm really bad with video cards so bare with me tyvm for input
As Cromewell said a GF4Ti is prolly good enough. Avoid the GFX series. As for ATi the 9600/9700+ make very good candidates

so n-e specific reccomandations?
Not until we have a budget :)

hold on if i get an 8x and mine only goes to 4x would the core speed of the video card be cut in half, or would a multiplier have to be moved up? or will this be assigned automatically

ZER0X

VIP Member
45-50 bux i'm only needing a 64mb 4x agp card....

Geforce 4, Radeon 9200 there about the best cards i've seen under $50 if you can't find one Geforce 2/Radeon 8500 or sumfin