Can the PS4 run in 4K resolution? if so how?

bm23

If it's gaming you're talking about and not streaming, the answer is no. Even current high end GPUs struggle with 4K. In comparative terms, the PS4 is using a GPU equivalent of a 7870.

Shlouski

VIP Member
At the moment the PS4 and xbox one are only using hdmi 1.4, which means they could be able do 4K at a max of 30fps. As bm23 rightly says, this does not matter anyway because neither consoles would be able to game at more than 30fps at 4K anyway, they have enough problems with 1080p. I'm not sure of the facts, but I did read something about new PS4's getting HDMI 2.0 which can do 4K at 60fps, which seems to suggest that the PS4 could stream 4k at 60 fps.

Shlouski

VIP Member
PS4 games are 1080p.

I remember hearing that not all games were running at 60 fps at 1080p and that is was a struggle getting many games to do, so it does seems like the ps4 has problems to achieve with 1080p at 60 fps, I'm not saying it can't :).

spirit

Staff member
I remember hearing that not all games were running at 60 fps at 1080p and that is was a struggle getting many games to do, so it does seems like the ps4 has problems to achieve with 1080p at 60 fps, I'm not saying it can't :).
Maybe the max resolution the PS4 can output at is 1080p then.

You ain't gonna be doing 4K gaming with a games console anyway. You need a pretty powerful PC to play games at 4K at the moment! ;)