Can this be done?

jbrown456

so my laptop connects to the wireless downstairs fine, im on it now, but my desktop wont, i think its because its an old wireless adapter.

so is there any ways to connect my desktop to my laptop with maybe an ethernet cable or something (crossover?) and send the internet that my laptop connects to over to my desktop?

thanks in advance
jbrown

matt_1988

Yes that can be done. If your laptop connects to the Internet via wireless, connect your desktop via a crossover Ethernet cable. You will need to bridge the wireless and wired network connection. To do this you must select both connections in network connections right click and select bridge connections.

If you are making the crossover cable yourself the RJ's on each end will be connect like so:

WHITE ORANGE - ORANGE - WHITE GREEN - BLUE - WHITE BLUE - GREEN - WHITE BROWN - BROWN

WHITE GREEN - GREEN - WHITE ORANGE - BLUE - WHITE BLUE - ORANGE -WHITE BROWN - BROWN.

If you need any help setting this up, please don't hesitate to ask.

Matt

jbrown456

thank you for your help, but i just have one question. when i connect the two together, my laptop lets me bridge the connections but on the desktop it says limited or no connectivity.. what should i do about this

jbrown456

never mind, i figured it out. i had to enable internet sharing (right click on connection, then properties, then sharing tab)

thanks for your help everyone