Can this SSD drive be connected to a data transfer cable?

mikehende

Hey guys, can this SSD drive in a HP15DY1031wm laptop be connected to a data transfer cable so I can copy the files from it? Seems to be regular SATA connectors to me?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 2.02.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 2.02.03 PM.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 3

beers

Staff member
Also that specific module in the diagram looks to be a SATA specification one, some of the adapters support M.2 (physical) into NVME instead of SATA, so I'd double check anything you were considering buying.

mikehende

Thanks, what I am not understanding is why isn't there like a universal adapter for all internal SSD Drives? Seems some different internal SSD drives require different enclosures or adapters.

beers

Staff member
Seems some different internal SSD drives require different enclosures or adapters.
There's different standards, m.2 was more of a physical packaging one since you reduce the complexity of storage integrating the system by simply having it be an interface mounted to the board. At the time SATA was the most prevalent interface, so SATA was adapted to run on that.

As nvme was developed to leverage pci lanes directly at a significant speed increase but with required dependency changes. At that point you have two standards and NVME is >6x faster, you might as well develop for the newer standard.

Kind of similar how any computing thing ends up, such as IDE vs SATA. Same new vs old adoption scenario. If someone offered you a 2TB floppy but it could only transfer at the same 125 KB/sec then it's not a viable technology anymore. Or try offering Warzone on a full library of floppies, where even a reduced warzone+multi install consumes the equivalent of 95,000 of them.

Last edited: