Can video cameras stand the cold?

Well electronics tend to do better in lower temps but if it goes from cold to warm fast, condensation can screw it up.

Manuals are made for a reason :p This is from my camera's manual, but I'm sure most camera's are the same...

Your probably right. I asked because I have been thinking about recording some 1st person video of skiing. I guess I will have to record on a day that is above freezing to be safe.

Eh, I recorded a wedding that was outside when it was below freezing and the camera was absolutely just fine. I believe the temperature was around 25F...

Well electronics tend to do better in lower temps but if it goes from cold to warm fast, condensation can screw it up.
Electronics, ya, but there are also alot of moving mechanical parts.

Your probably right. I asked because I have been thinking about recording some 1st person video of skiing. I guess I will have to record on a day that is above freezing to be safe.
I used my camera/camcorder to tape me skiing before, and kept it in my pocket the whole time, and worked great.

[-0MEGA-];508937 said:
I used my camera/camcorder to tape me skiing before, and kept it in my pocket the whole time, and worked great.

Even when you were recording? :)

man, i left my camera in the car many times by mistake. . on cold nights...
and its still kicking as good as it ever was...

but yea, like that guy said... temp. changes too rapidly can ruin them...

Well, it works seem fine when I was filming my soccer team for coach. I was manager of course. I was up outside and it was freaky cold. It works just fine. Just dont drop into the wet grass or snow. It also depends how long you going to recording it. 1-4 should be fine, but after, could mess up...

Cody J. †

Yeah, on further consideration of this topic, just try to keep it from extreme temp. changes too much as it will probably lead to condensation which is obviously not good for it... If you avoid that you should be fine.

Back