Can you download a Youtube video for offline viewing?

fmonte

I know they have a monthly service for this feature but I was wondering if there is a free, legal way to do it.

_Pete_

Google it there's plenty about it in Google. I don't know whether it's legal or not but I am told it isn't so I don't do it. Having said that there is stuff on Youtube that you have to download if you want to use it such as 3D content for use with Google Cardboard and other 3D viewers.

Agent Smith

You can do it with a browser add-on or an independent dedicated App on your computer. I don't know if I can recommend what you can use on here though.

I could have sworn the use of "Google it" was frowned upon here.

_Pete_

You can do it with a browser add-on or an independent dedicated App on your computer. I don't know if I can recommend what you can use on here though.

I could have sworn the use of "Google it" was frowned upon here.

Oh why is that then??? Google is a renowned search engine and perfectly legitimate unless,of course, you know differently. Like you I was reluctant to recomend any ways to download Youtube content due to the. probable, illegality of it so I recommended that the OP did his own research using Google. There are other search engines which in my opinion are absolute rubbish compared to Google hence my suggestion to "Google it."

Darren

Staff member
Unless you have expression permission from the uploader or it's a video in the public domain it will likely be illegal. There are tools out there to do it but I won't link any since it is kind of a legal grey area.

Advising someone to do their own research is fine. Condescending "let me Google that for you" type posts links aren't allowed.

Shlouski

VIP Member
There's a great program called jdownloader2, which has many legitimate uses, but you might be breaking the rules if you download YouTube videos.