Can you help me diagnose this hardware problem?

pause

One other thing is that I had this problem BEFORE I even opened the case and tried to reseat the heatsink. Where I ran counterstrike... my system froze... and then I couldnt boot back up for about 30 minutes without the system not posting and getting the error beeps.

So i'm not sure.

I will try to reinsert the cpu though, and then reseat the heatsink I guess.

I just wish I had ran diagnostics when I first had this problem to see if that memory stick wasn't registering

pause

well... I went and bout a new stick of memory from Bestbuy and that doesn't work either.

the system wont start up at all now with any memory or anything. crap

now I guess I have to figure out whether its the cpu or the MoBo... maybe i'll take it in to a shop... or just buy a new MoBo and hope it works. Sucks not having a computer

pause

sorry... I know this thread has probably run it's course but i'm just wondering what would you do in this situation?

Buy a new MoBo? Take it to a shop? Buy a new CPU?

I'm thinking of just buying a new MoBo, and if it doesn't work and the CPU is shot I could always return it to newegg right? Or worst case keep it and have a new MoBo. For some reason I just have a feeling it's not the CPU but i'm not sure why.

The whole problem originated because the system was crashing after running a video game. I intuitively thought that would point to the cpu overheating, but then when running diagnostics, it wasn't registering the memory stick.

Just totally not sure.

jslick

sorry... I know this thread has probably run it's course but i'm just wondering what would you do in this situation?

Buy a new MoBo? Take it to a shop? Buy a new CPU?

I'm thinking of just buying a new MoBo, and if it doesn't work and the CPU is shot I could always return it to newegg right? Or worst case keep it and have a new MoBo. For some reason I just have a feeling it's not the CPU but i'm not sure why.

The whole problem originated because the system was crashing after running a video game. I intuitively thought that would point to the cpu overheating, but then when running diagnostics, it wasn't registering the memory stick.

Just totally not sure.

I would try to figure out if it is the mobo or cpu - but I'm not sure how to tell. The beeps probably hint at which it is.
I would keep your new memory stick for the moment if you still have it. You said at one point that your system was reading only half of your memory so either A) one stick is bad or B) your motherboard is bad. <-- as far as your memory problem.

If you think you know enough of what you're doing, I would try replacing the motherboard, but not the mobo and cpu at the same time bc you won't know which one is bad. If it still doesn't work after replacing the mobo, replace the cpu but keep your new motherboard for the moment in case they are both bad. Keep in mind, newegg (and probably every other site) has ridiculous restocking fees. I paid $12 to restock an $80 processor once.

I would only take it to the shop if you don't want to (or can't) diagnose the problem yourself. If you can fix it yourself it is going to be a lot cheaper. Although, it would be much easier to hand it over to a shop.

pause

I would try to figure out if it is the mobo or cpu - but I'm not sure how to tell. The beeps probably hint at which it is.
I would keep your new memory stick for the moment if you still have it. You said at one point that your system was reading only half of your memory so either A) one stick is bad or B) your motherboard is bad. <-- as far as your memory problem.

If you think you know enough of what you're doing, I would try replacing the motherboard, but not the mobo and cpu at the same time bc you won't know which one is bad. If it still doesn't work after replacing the mobo, replace the cpu but keep your new motherboard for the moment in case they are both bad. Keep in mind, newegg (and probably every other site) has ridiculous restocking fees. I paid $12 to restock an $80 processor once.

I would only take it to the shop if you don't want to (or can't) diagnose the problem yourself. If you can fix it yourself it is going to be a lot cheaper. Although, it would be much easier to hand it over to a shop.

Thanks jslick...

that will probably be the route I decide to go. Get a new MoBo... If everything is sweet than just keep the mobo and go from there. If there are still problems, get new CPU, make sure it works on old MoBo... go from there

Would you have any recommendations for a MoBO? Something not too expensive that has room to upgrade, but is still compatible with 775 or whatever Intel Core 2 Duo is?

larryf215

since you have decided to get a new board, why not take out the old one now and bench test it. "Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (w/ ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm sink)" , 57C is hot for this cpu. My athlon XP 2000, doesn't run that hot. I know removing the cpu/heat-sink can be frustrating, but if you take the board out now, it will be easier to removing the sink again and do it right. If you "flexed the board alot, installing the heatsink you may have damaged the board. Also, I don't believe I saw the specs for your power supply, can you post them?

Last edited:

pause

since you have decided to get a new board, why not take out the old one now and bench test it. "Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (w/ ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm sink)" , 57C is hot for this cpu. My athlon XP 2000, doesn't run that hot. I know removing the cpu/heat-sink can be frustrating, but if you take the board out now, it will be easier to removing the sink again and do it right. If you "flexed the board alot, installing the heatsink you may have damaged the board. Also, I don't believe I saw the specs for your power supply, can you post them?

What do you mean by bench test it? Take the whole MoBo out, put the heatsink on good and secure and the put the whole mobo back in and try to run it again?

As far as my PSU:

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire

pause

For those at all interested, I ordered a new MoBo, and 2 mem sticks from ebay.

Just put it all together, and GUESS WHAT? IT WAS THE FREAKIN GRAPHICS CARD ALL ALONG!

Stupid me, I should have checked to see if the fan on the GPU was working while the computer was on. Faulty troubleshooting on my part but I guess now I know another thing to check for.

Anyway, now i'm wondering what I should do. I don't really wanna send back the MoBo and go through the return hassle. It wasn't too expensive only bout 90 bucks. Plus i'm wondering, because when the computer was working It was only registering one memory stick, meaning the slots could have been messed up or the stick was.

Is there any advantage to keeping the new MoBo? or should I really return it?

bomberboysk

For those at all interested, I ordered a new MoBo, and 2 mem sticks from ebay.

Just put it all together, and GUESS WHAT? IT WAS THE FREAKIN GRAPHICS CARD ALL ALONG!

Stupid me, I should have checked to see if the fan on the GPU was working while the computer was on. Faulty troubleshooting on my part but I guess now I know another thing to check for.

Anyway, now i'm wondering what I should do. I don't really wanna send back the MoBo and go through the return hassle. It wasn't too expensive only bout 90 bucks. Plus i'm wondering, because when the computer was working It was only registering one memory stick, meaning the slots could have been messed up or the stick was.

As long as your computer is working...you dont really need another mobo;)

604action

Is it time to buy a new computer?
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg

jslick

My opinion is that if you already have the new mobo installed you should stick with it unless you really want those $90 (minus ~$12 for restocking fee) back. Your new motherboard would likely last longer than your old one. On top of that, for all you know, there could be one or more problems with your old mobo anyway.

I don't see how the GPU could reduce half of your memory, so there is probably something wrong with your old mobo (or memory). So with that, I would just stick with your new one. I would only consider sending back the new mobo if you know FOR SURE that your old one is working just fine.

pause

My opinion is that if you already have the new mobo installed you should stick with it unless you really want those $90 (minus ~$12 for restocking fee) back. Your new motherboard would likely last longer than your old one. On top of that, for all you know, there could be one or more problems with your old mobo anyway.

I don't see how the GPU could reduce half of your memory, so there is probably something wrong with your old mobo (or memory). So with that, I would just stick with your new one. I would only consider sending back the new mobo if you know FOR SURE that your old one is working just fine.

thanks j, for all your help throughout this thread btw

yeah I'm just gonna keep it.

I just bought this GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161252

I was gonna go with the usual cheap 30 dollar selection, but I figured why not. That one got great reviews and supposedly the fan is so strong it actually cools your computer