Can you please rate my PC?

narafa

Can you please tell me guys if my computer is good or not? I am asking this question just because I just want to judge my PC internationally :)

And since I am from Egypt, and PCs in Egypt are not brands like in the US, we assemble PCs here from generic components, so I want to rate my PC.

I have

- Intel 1.8 Ghz processor with 512 KB L2 cache
- A GigaByte Mother Board with intel chipset 845 with 5 PCI slots and built in sound card
- A 384 MB Samsung SD Ram of bus 133 Mghz
- A Nvidea GeForce2 MX 400 64 MB Graphics Card
- 2x80 GB hard drives, A Western Digital (7200 RPM) & a Segate (5400 RPM)
- 2 LG CD-ROM Drives, a 52x reader, and a 52x24x52x Re-Writer

What do you think? Currently I am satisfied with my PC performance, although I think I am getting old, do I really need to CHANGE and get a new box ?

Thanks,

Nader

LittleHoov

it all depends on what you want to do with it, for a daily driver/mild gaming machine that should be fine, although i would think about upgrading your video card and RAM, of course im guessing that your RAM is SDRAM, so you could also think about getting a new motherboard and some DDR-RAM, but all those things take money.

narafa

LittleHoov said:
it all depends on what you want to do with it, for a daily driver/mild gaming machine that should be fine, although i would think about upgrading your video card and RAM, of course im guessing that your RAM is SDRAM, so you could also think about getting a new motherboard and some DDR-RAM, but all those things take money.

Well, ya I am with you, every upgrade costs money. I almost use the PC for everything, gaming, Internet, Word Processing, Chatting, Sound Editing and sometimes Video Editing, almost I use the PC in all possible activities.

The main problem is that I will need around $325 to upgrade the Board, the processor, the RAM to DDRs and the Graphics Card. This is not too much compared to a new PC, but it's some money after all.

Thanks anyway man for the comment :)

foxshox

its ok i guess, but in the states its starting to fall below what is in the middle for new computers.. it could obviously use some upgrades, but i think it would be alot more expensive in egpyt.. if you use your computer that much, i think its worth upgrading

Apathetic

I agree with LittleHoov, Just maybe a ram upgrade. Either than that from what your saying it works great for you so I can think of anything else you could upgrade.

flame1117

banned
i would get maybe a vew video card. new mobo that suports DDR ram then well DDRRAM.(i have a mobo for sale :) naa just kiddin, well i do but i havn't even figured out what model it is yet lol)
If you dont want to spend alot of money at one time you could get a mobo that has 2 SDRAM slots and 2 DDRRAM slots. then later get DDR RAM

narafa

Well, If I manage to get a new mobo that support DDR and SD RAM, I will get a low end and bad one here in Egypt, such mobos are not a lot here, plus I would not be able to tame myself not to upgrade the processor to a 2.66 or 2.8 Ghz with 1 MB L2 Cache :D, and of course, such a nice mobo with a great processor, I will need at least a 512 MB of DDR RAM, so I will end up paying around $320 - $350 in upgrades.

I don't actually need another video card, my card managed to run NFS Underground, although it's an old game, but it worked fine with mine, no frames at all. Other than that, I am not a heavy gamer.

I think I am fine like that until further notice :D

jshah41

i think all parts are fine but ur RAM is confusing me. it's only 133 MHz bus and SD. i sugest u to buy a new ram at least 512MB DDR and 400/533 bus speed.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well

Hear my opinion. I would consider your PC just fine. That said, it could do upgrading in terms of graphics and ram. However, if you are sattisfied with what you already have, then why upgrade? The RAM would give it perhaps the greatest performance boost of all.

JAN :D

narafa

jshah41 said:
i think all parts are fine but ur RAM is confusing me. it's only 133 MHz bus and SD. i sugest u to buy a new ram at least 512MB DDR and 400/533 bus speed.

My current Mobo does not support RAM modules of higher bus speed. My max RAM speed supported is the 133. Not to mention that the mobo does not support DDRs, only SD.

narafa

Well, why am I asking?? Because sometimes you might believe that you have the best and satisfied, while actually you can just get things done better. If I don't ask, then I will be satisified by my PC the rest of my life :D

Actually I stayed with my P-V 133 Mghz for around 5 years without a single upgrade, and this really got me sucked when I decided to look around, I found P4 2.0 Ghz out there, so I just threw my PC away and got a new box.

flip218

VIP Member
Because sometimes you might believe that you have the best and satisfied, while actually you can just get things done better.

I've got a pretty good pc and I'm always trying to find ways to make it better (though running out of ideas :) ) ... so will probably gear up to build a new one.

narafa

So happy birthday for everyone on this thread then :D My b-day is still far away thank GOD, I am not getting a year older that soon