Can you purchase a Blank Laptop?

Mr. T

What I mean by that is, there isn't anything installed, not even an OS.
basically just the "shell", because when you buy a computer, it come pre-installed with the Operating System (duh) and a bunch of other junk that's unnecessary.
but is it possible to buy a New Laptop and Install the OS of my choice from a disk (Which is a legal copy that I purchased.)
Or do you have to buy them, wipe the original OS out, and install the new one.

Agent Smith

You really can't buy a new laptop without a OS. Maybe from a computer shop. eBay will sell older laptops without an OS and I chose that. Mine didn't even have a HDD. So I bought the SSD and caddy and installed Windows 7.

Darren

Staff member
Some shops would probably format the drive for you if you asked, I know mine would. Otherwise you'll need to find something likely used online that specifically is a blank drive or no HDD at all. Not sure why it matters really though as the installation process of any OS will wipe the old drive in a matter of seconds either way.

_Glitch

I have seen some examples of laptops came pre-installed with linux. Not in physical stores, but in online stores.
I believe you save a little bit of money on them because you don't have to pay for a windows license.
But i have never seen a laptop without any OS at all.