Can You Really Boost Your Internet Speed?

cpu1

Hi all,

I'm not talking about getting 10Mbs out of a dial-connection or anything, I'm just wondering if any of those software programs/tweaks that you see on youtube and elsewhere really work to get the max out of your internet?

Have you ever done anything that worked for you? What was it. Thanks a lot for all of your help!

Oh, by the way I'm running Firefox.

apj101

VIP Member
not really, there maybe things like ensuring no-one is is using your bandwidth, wire vs unwired, since you are in firefox you can change a few settings
1. Type “about:config” (without quotes) in the address bar of your Firefox and press Enter.
2. Find and Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
3. Find and Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
4. Find and Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like “10”. (Meaning that it will make 10 requests at once.)
5. right click anywhere in the configuration window and from the pop-up menu select: “New” > “Integer”
Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay”
Set its value to “0” (Zero)

WeatherMan

What router do you have? The only way I know to in any way boost a internet connection is playing around with your noise margin.

teamhex

Your probably not going to increase your "internet" speed.
Maybe if you upgrade all devices to gigabit devices you could get some nice LAN speeds, but really theres nothing you can do. Your speed is throttled by your ISP so unless you call them and offer them more money....I dont see it happening.

cpu1

Your probably not going to increase your "internet" speed.
Maybe if you upgrade all devices to gigabit devices you could get some nice LAN speeds, but really theres nothing you can do. Your speed is throttled by your ISP so unless you call them and offer them more money....I dont see it happening.

Good point. When I go to a site like speedtest.net, I'm getting about the max for my connection, so I guess there's not much more I can do on that front.

I have also done all of the firefox tweaks others have recommended.

I guess what I'm really looking for is real-life surfing speed. That is, actual loading of pages. My speed is 2Mbs. I remember a post by a member here who said that his pages load almost instantly. Any tips for getting to that point? Is my speed fast enough?

kobaj

VIP Member
wow 2mbs... I'm at 24mbs

If you could bump it up to at least 5mbs it would make a pretty nice difference!

The difference between 5mb and 2mb is marginal for general browsing. Most servers only do a couple hundred kbps upload anyway.

For some faster browsing do the following:

Get Chrome
Install Adblock

There are a few other tweaks you could do, but they severely limit your browsing experience. Such as, no-image addon (doesn't load images, only text and links) etc.

FrillyBits

Optimize

Optimizing works for me :good:
SpeedGuide Analyzer & Optimizer Guide

To get an accurate result, no downloads should be happening when you run the analysis and it is best to have just the one Tab
• Go to SG Broadband Tools @ SpeedGuide.net
• Click on SG TCP/IP Analyzer the analysis will start automatically.
• Look at Time to live left = ? hops 64 is best but if the range is 62 > 66 then it's not worth making any changes. Also, this figure is dynamic so tomorrow the same test might give a result of 64
If the figure is outside the range of 62 > 66 then you should optimize.

• Look at Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS: and note the RWIN value that suites your connection
EG: 255552 (2-14 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^2)
• Look at Time to live left and note the difference between your figure and 64
EG: If your figure is 58 then you are 6 under

• Return to the page SG Broadband Tools @ SpeedGuide.net and click on SG TCP Optimizer
• Download TCP Optimizer v3.0.7 (new)
• Put TCP Optimizer in it's own folder (it is standalone and does not install to your computer) this will keep your settings and backups organized
• Launch TCP Optimizer
• Click Custom (bottom right)
• Move the slider at the top to your Connection Speed
• Make sure the Network Adapter selection is correct (it should be)
• In the TCP Receive Window replace the figure with the Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS: figure you noted before.
• In the Time to Live (TTL): window adjust the figure to compensate for the difference to 64
EG: The figure in the example above was 58 (6 under 64) so you would make the TTL figure 70 (6 over 64)
• Click Apply Changes
• When it is finished you must Restart your computer to apply the changes

• Return to the page SG Broadband Tools @ SpeedGuide.net
• Click on SG TCP/IP Analyzer and the figure should be close to 64.
Again I will say, this figure is dynamic so don't waste your time trying to get it from say 65 to 64, tomorrow or in 10 minutes it could be 64 anyway. It is only worth optimizing if the difference is large.

At any time you can launch TCP Optimizer and select File to:
Restore backed up settings to a previous time
Restore Windows Default settings This will restore all default settings not just those changes made by TCP Optimizer.

Last edited:

danny0085

internet speed

I do not thick that is possible because your limited to download and upload bandwidth for your ISP. The speed sometimes depends on what website if that server is busy you will think that your speed is slow.

----------------
msn for linux