Cannon T3 - Capture Button Question

CrazyMike

Hey guys,

So i feel like a total idiot. I bought a Cannon T3 to start out my photography experience. The whole time I have had this camera, I have noticed that when i went to go take a photo, sometimes it wouldn't take the picture. It would beep as if it was in focus then nothing. I totally understand that if you press the capture button half way it will focus. Then fully pressing the button will take the picture. This is exactly what i was doing.

Well, today I realized that there might be an issue with my capture button. I have noticed that when fully pressed in, if in a certain position, it will not take the photo. A quick rock of the button and bingo, picture taken. So now I have a few questions:

1) Is this normal?
2) How do I go about fixing if not normal?
3) How much is this going to cost me?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's normal. Unfortunately all Canon's do it. It usually happens when you're at a minimum or maximum focus range.

As far as fixing it, you just need to either move slightly closer or farther away from the subject.

CrazyMike

Well that just sucks..... what are Nikons like? If i push a button all the way in (no matter which way i push it) will it capture?

Cause this just makes me pissed at Cannon.

Justin

VIP Member
Doesn't matter if you're using Nikon or Canon, if you're not in the minimum focusing distance that the lens requires it will not capture the photo.

spirit

Staff member
Well that just sucks..... what are Nikons like? If i push a button all the way in (no matter which way i push it) will it capture?

Cause this just makes me pissed at Cannon.

With my Nikon D3200 if you're too close to the subject you're trying to get a photo of or the lens can't autofocus, when you press the shutter button nothing will happen.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Doesn't matter if you're using Nikon or Canon, if you're not in the minimum focusing distance that the lens requires it will not capture the photo.

With my Nikon D3200 if you're too close to the subject you're trying to get a photo of or the lens can't autofocus, when you press the shutter button nothing will happen.

Thanks for the verification on that. I didn't know if other DSLR's did that or not.

CrazyMike

If the camera (on mine, focus light blinks and beeps) focus's and still does this, then most likely the button right? I mean, if it blinks and beeps, i can just rock the capture button and it will take the picture. (more like find the sweet spot.

In the case that you are talking about, the camera will not focus. In my case not blink and beep.

spirit

Staff member
No I think the problem is if you're using the 18-55mm kit lens, it cannot focus extremely close up to objects because it is not a macro lens. I think your problem is the lens.

speedyink

VIP Member
...why have I never experience this? On my Rebel T1i and T2i if it's not in focus and I press the button..it just takes an out of focus photo.

Is that an auto mode thing or something? I've never used auto so that would explain it..

Otherwise for the OP it sounds like a faulty shutter button to me.

Punk

Staff member
...why have I never experience this? On my Rebel T1i and T2i if it's not in focus and I press the button..it just takes an out of focus photo.

Is that an auto mode thing or something? I've never used auto so that would explain it..

Otherwise for the OP it sounds like a faulty shutter button to me.

That's weird, even my Nikon D40 does that. If it can't focus it won't take the picture (at least in autofocus).

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Normally my camera will also take a blurry picture, but if I'm in a weird spot and it can't exactly focus on the subject then it won't.

EvanK

If it's not taking the picture on my D7000, I can press the shutter button all the way without hesitating to let it focus and it'll take the shot. Otherwise, just switch it into manual focus and you'll be good.