cannot access C:/ drive from my computer and can't change settings.

Hi guys, in a nutshell, the machine (a dell inspiron 5520) will boot into windows 10, but I cannot access the C drive on it through my computer or even view data on it such as space available, capacity etc. It will give me an access denied message if I try and open it. Task manager won't open either

If I open diskmgmt, I'll also be prompted with an error stating that "Network error, windows cannot access dismgmt". If I try and go into intricate options like sharing, setting up user accounts, the window will just hang there for a good 15 minutes with a spinning wheel before I'm presented with a access denied message or similar.

Yes, the account on the system is an admin account. Pulling my hair out.

no restore points exist and when I use recovery, I'm prompted with "There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made"

I get the 0x800704b3 error trying to open anything related to settings and the Microsoft management console. It's a vegetable currently.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Back up your data via a second pc and reinstall windows. Somehow it got corrupted.

_Pete_

That error code relates to a network error and shouldn't really affect the normal running of windows. i take you have run an anti malware such as Malwarebytes and whichever antivirus you are using. Failing that it might be time to reinstall Windows. You will need to remove your hard drive before you do anything and chuck it in a caddy on a different computer and back up your personal files somewhere else. Big jobbies and a pain in the backside but could well be your quickest option.