cannot connect to dhcp

palidon112

Today out of nowhere my comp just froze and when i restarted i couldn't connect to the internet. apparently i can't connect to the dhcp server. when i ran the troubleshooter it said it was unable to renew the ip address. my mom's computer can connect fine and the lappy works fine. i tried resetting the router, tried system restore, tried setting the ip manually, i can ping the router, renewing the ip address through command prompt doesn't work. i don't know what else i should do.

thanks for any help!

edit:
i tried winsock xp fix and it didn't help

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it takes more than 3 hours for an answer :p

Open your network connections (Control Panel -> Network Connections) and look at the properties of your Local Area Connection. Find Internet Protocol and look at it's properties. Make sure it's set to automagic as seen below:

65104656ge1.png

palidon112

it was previously set to automatically obtain the ip address and dns, it doesn't work. which is why i tried setting it manually.

edit: i just noticed that after i set it manually and i restarted my comp the settings changed to automatically obtain the ip, i dont know if that means anything or not

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If that's setup correctly, the next step is to check your router settings. If that all seems to be in order as well make sure your NIC is still working.

palidon112

how do i go about checking the settings of the router? my thought is the router is fine, i can plug the ethernet cord into my laptop and it works.

and the network interface seems to be working.

Last edited:

palidon112

from more google searching and whatnot it sounds like the winsock reg keys are corrupted, but the winsock xp fix didn't work and typing "netsh winsock reset" in command prompt and then restarting doesn't work.

i'm contemplating reinstalling windows.. i need to do my effing schoolwork.

edit: im staring fresh with windows. thanks for your help.

Last edited:

palidon112

son of a bitch, reinstall of windows didn't help a bit. i'm going to get a different NIC card and put it in a pci slot, see if that works.