cannot connect to the internet

cyras21

I'm lost. I had a virus which was a b*tch to exterminate. Now, I cannot connect to the internet. I'm connecting through a router. An IP address is shown, and I know is good because I'm connected on it now through my laptop. Activity sent and received is limited, less then 50. I had to uninstall my firewall during the virus extermination so I know that's not blocking it. I've double checked all my network settings and they are fine. I'm able to print through my desktop so I'm not sure what is going on. Anyone have any ideas?

sg1

Well the fact that you can print files from laptop through your desktop suggests that you are able to use the WLAN/LAN of your setup and that the problem lies elsewhere.

So in control panel>network connections can you right click your internet connection of your desktop and disable then re enable the connection? may well kick things into place ;)

PLUS are you sure the virus has been 100% removed?

Last edited:

cyras21

Well the fact that you can print files from laptop through your desktop suggests that you are able to use the WLAN/LAN of your setup and that the problem lies elsewhere.

So in control panel>network connections can you right click your internet connection of your desktop and disable then re enable the connection? may well kick things into place ;)

PLUS are you sure the virus has been 100% removed?

I've tried that a couple of times. Sometimes, it'll show limited or no connectivity so I'll disable it then re-enable it and it will refresh the IP. I would then be able to print and view my networks but still unable to access the internet. Repairing it does nothing. I've tried bypassing the router and get the same effect.

I'm not a 100% sure if the virus is completely removed but none of the 6 programs I used to remove it show any signs of it. Yes, it really did take 6 programs to remove it all.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
I would suggest reinstalling or doing a repair install of windows. Over the years I've found that it can actually take less time to reinstall windows then you would spend trying to find and root out all parts of a virus. I would venture to say that you havn't actually gotten rid of all of it if you can't see your hard drive or dvd drive.

sg1

assuming you connect to internet via ethernet on your desktop- have you tried reinstalling the ethernet driver of your motherboard which may have become corrupted?

sg1

Over the years I've found that it can actually take less time to reinstall windows then you would spend trying to find and root out all parts of a virus.
Yes I must say I agree with this as I don't think that all parts of the virus may be 100% removed as I queried earlier ;)

cyras21

Yes I must say I agree with this as I don't think that all parts of the virus may be 100% removed as I queried earlier ;)

I think I'll try that. I just rebooted in safe mode and guess what, I was able to connect to the internet. I can only assume that something is lingering and who know what type of damage it is causing.