cannot get past lenovo screen

copiman

Hello all. I have a laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon type 20A7). At first I received (2100: Detection Error on SSD0 (M.2). I also has Critical_Process_Died as well. Some times I have got it to boot only to have it freeze up 5-10 minutes after desktop is up. Bios is set to defaults but is not current update. Fan is working. Temp for SSD was high but not over max. Processor temp ok. I did notice SSD felt hot, uncomfortable to touch for 30 seconds. I have ran Lenovo Diagnostics which indicates all hardware is good. Now it only boots to Lenovo screen. I was thinking about a repair install but cannot because of boot issue and not freezing during install. Also I have never installed anything on SSD before, just HDDs. I have searched for solutions but have not found one for me so I came here. Any ideas on what to do? Here are the specs of the laptop:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd030763

Running 8.1 pro 64-bit

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
SSD's should not get hot, there is no moving parts. If you remove the SSD the system should get past the lenovo screen just fine. Something is wrong with the SSD.

copiman

Thanks John. I had considered that until I read in several places that they run hot. That's why I finally came here to get the truth as always. Thanks again.

_Pete_

SSDs do get hot. I don't know how hot but bottom line is that they are electronic storage. USB pen drives get hot if used for any length of time. Ram gets warm, CPUs get very very hot and need extra cooling to keep them working, graphic and sound cards get hot etc etc. It does depend on how hot your SSD is.

copiman

If you put your finger on it you will remove your finger in about 10-15 seconds because its hot. When I removed the SSD and booted the laptop I was able to get past the Lenovo screen. With the SSD in the laptop, I could not. I have been looking for a replacement SSD for this laptop. Crucial does not have it because of the type. I did find some used ones on ebay. Maybe will give it a try after some more searching. Know any places to get a good SSD at a good price?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a regular Sata SSD? What size are you looking for? Look for a samsung 860 evo

copiman

Looks good to me as long as its compatible. I'm still researching to learn more about SSDs, types, slots, etc....:confused:

Heck I just got to where I feel good about HDDs:)

I trust your judgement. You have never let me down in the past.:D

By the way, I just install the SSD and then load 8.1 like I would if it was an HDD, right?

Last edited: