WIndows 10 Cannot get System retore to work

Stattovic

I have a Windows HP Laptop, 64 bit, running Windows 10.

First thing this morning when I opened my Firefox browser I noticed that all my bookmarks had disapeared.
Sadly I have no idea why or how.

Since then I have spent hours creating restore points, trying it in safe mode, it takes a couple of hours each time then I get the message System restore did not work. Three attempts with different restore points.

There is nowhere I could remember all the bookmarks, so a nightmare synario.

I have searched Google for an answer, some say uninstall my Anti Virus software, which I think is Norton, but as I have a subscription with them I did not want to have to pay again for a new version. One mentioned disabling my anti virus. I am old (75) and cannot figure how to do this.

I was supposed to be showing some features on a website a run to a meeting tomorrow.

Can someone please give me advice in a simple way how I can get my bookmarks back please ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
System restore is very buggy and very seldom works unless you keep your pc in tip top shape. Without knowing how the bookmarks disappeared would be hard to tell you how to get them back. Have you tried going into bookmarks menu and then click on show all bookmarks to see if they show up? To disable Norton antivirus do the following, but I highly doubt disabling it will allow system restore to complete successfully.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v116457581_ns_retail_en_us

Have you tried exporting bookmarks and then importing them again to see if they appear? Once you get them back you need to back them up to a flash drive every so often or create a firefox sync account which is under the tools menu.