Cannot Install/Utilize Programs in Windows 10 (64)

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

Started fooling with my PITA Lenovo laptop running w10 64 bit.......I wanted to do a complete backup (clone) of the computer......

Whenever I click on a desktop icon-shortcut to activate a program to do this (even Crap-Cleaner for example), I get a pop-up message about that I do not have permission, etc etc etc........

I have r-clicked on the icon to run as administrator and still get the same "crapola"....
I do NOT want to use any pre-installed back-up features on Win 10

I read the following:

"Windows 10 and Windows 11 allow you to install traditional desktop apps as well as apps from the Microsoft Store. Certain settings will restrict you to only installing Store apps, so you should check those first.....To do this, head to Settings > Apps > Apps & features (Windows 10) or Settings > Apps > Advanced app settings (Windows 11). At the top, you'll see a Choose where to get apps section. If the dropdown is set to The Microsoft Store only (recommended) then you won't be able to install apps from anywhere else. This prevents you from installing traditional Windows desktop software"

I attempt to click on the various categories on the page and it does NOTHING...At the top, it seemingly wants me to sign into an account...WTF gives?...Thanks for any help!

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply

I cannot find (section in red).....I CANNOT FIND -

"How to Leave S Mode

To leave S Mode, open the Store app on your PC and search for "Switch out of S Mode." The Store will guide you through taking your PC out of S Mode."

Da Mail Man

UPDATE -
Found it by watching a u-tube vid......Will advise as to success-failure....

UPDATE #2
For some reason, I clicked on AOMEI program and it started....I have connected an external "regular" sata hd powered externally, and connected to laptop usb port.......I can "see" my ss INTERNAL drive but, the external hd does not appear...

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into disk management and see if it shows it. If the external drive hasn't been formatted yet then explorer won't see it until its been formatted.

Da Mail Man

I just figured out how to do this - got there about 30 min ago......

EXT HD showing up when plugged in and cloning w10 HD to that disc......

I will let ya know how I make out..

THANKS FOR THE REPLY(IES)!