Cannot Locate Router

Charlie7940

Hello everyone!

I am having trouble connecting to a wireless router on my HP laptop. I have windows vista if that helps. The router I am trying to connect to is hidden, so i was told to manually connect to it and then I would have to type in the password. The problem is, I can't pull up the router anywhere to do this. I even turned my firewall off temporarily to see if that was blocking it, but it wasn't. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Charlie

brian

VIP Member
so your wireless ssid is not brodcast. If so, do you know the ssid (the name of the wireless siginal)

Charlie7940

I do not know much about the router. I am in a college dorm room, and my neighbors next door have a wireless router. We are not supposed to have them, so he made it hidden and gave me the password to access it. I just can't pull it up, even if I try and add it manually. My roommate got it working but we can't figure it out on my computer.

CentralViking19

it could be vista....it likes to be complicated, i cant tell you because i had vista for 5 weeks and i only used it with a wired connection

slaphappylinksys

it could be vista....it likes to be complicated, i cant tell you because i had vista for 5 weeks and i only used it with a wired connection

you have to manually configure the network

control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center
and on the side theres a little menu click "Manange Wireless networks"

click the add button>click manually create a network profile

you need to know the network name and the security type used exp: none, wep, wpa etc.

*if your using wpa you need to know whether the encryption type is AES or TKIP

then put in the security code/passphrase

click next

slaphappylinksys

it might also be your internet protocol v.4 you might have to go into the properties on this and make sure its all set to automatic ip adress