Cannot login to my router settings

I have a Netgear WNDT3400v3 router, I type in my ip address and it prompts me to login. Upon entering my credentials it said I don't have a secure login and asked me again for my login. I factory reset my router (by holding the reset button for 10s it cycled through everything but didn't reset I suppose because my phone is still connected to the network and I tried the default router login password and it doesn't work. I downloaded the desktop app for the router (netgear genie) tried using the default password, it was it was incorrect so I used the login that I made and it's been trying to connect for over 5 mins (the default login told me incorrect password almost immediately) and it just now told me incorrect password. Please help. If a factory reset won't work, i don't know how to login to my router.

Agent Smith

Do yourself a favor and at least buy an ASUS N66U. You can grab one on ebay already flashed to ASUS Merlin or DD-WRT. This will be a huge improvement. I own one, and although it's not top of the line compared to what's out there, its got a very strong WIFI signal and has been very stable like my last router a Linksys WRT54GL flashed to DD-WRT. My ASUS router is flashed to ASUS Merlin. If you go this route, just make sure you keep the firmware updated. You will know there is a firmware update when you log into the router and see the blinking exclamation mark. Just Google ASUS Merlin to go to their site and download your router's firmware for that model. Use the hash calc program and DO! verify the hash.

http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...A0.H0.Xasus+n66u.TRS0&_nkw=asus+n66u&_sacat=0

I can only lead a horse to water...

beers

Staff member
but didn't reset I suppose because my phone is still connected to the network
Yeah it sounds like it didn't reset, you'd see something like NETGEAR as a SSID instead of the one you configured if it was using factory defaults. If the device won't reset after trying again (you could try longer maybe 10-15 sec, verify the button is actually pressed via click or the bump feel) then I'd buy a newer router. The WNDR3400 was pretty low end when it came out.

Update to new firmware if available or roll third-party. If it was impacted by an external vulnerability then you could see the same thing again.