Cannot make disk drives work ... PLEASE help

ShortKayke

Here are my computer specs:

Mobo: ASUS M3N78 Pro GeForce 8300 HDMI Hybrid SLI

Proc: AMD Phenom Quad Core X4 9550 2.2 Ghz 4MB Cache Socket AM2+w/ Zerotherm Butterfly CPU Heatsink

GFX: XFX GeForce GTX 260 896MB Black Edition PCIe 2.0 x16

RAM: 4x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500 DDR2 1066 Mhz

HDD: 2x74Gb Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM 1.5Gb/s

PSU: OCZ 700W ModXStream-Pro (Modular)

Case: Antec P180.

Disk Drives: LG Black Super multi DVD burner 22X (both SATA and IDE versions) and also a Lite-On DVD burner 22x

Now my question is: When I try to plug in any of the previously listed disk drives, in both SATA or IDE ports, the computer wont boot. If I unplug em they work. Therefore I know it has to do with the drives interfering. Ive tried both the IDE and the SATA versions and no progress. I think it may be a power supply problem but unfortunately this mobo has no way of reporting the error. But it's 700W and I cant believe that there is not enough power to run the drive?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Sean89

so your psu powers your case fans and cpu fan but not the drives? if your psu doesnt power anything use a paper clip to jump it

ShortKayke

My PSU is supplying power to everything except my disk drives. It will not boot my computer unless the disk drives are unplugged. Even one plugged in will stop the boot sequence.

KR33P

if your psu doesnt power anything use a paper clip to jump it

Haha. Thats great i've never hear that one. Uh.. i have no clue whats wrong. Faulty wiring maybe. i've never heard of disk drives stopping a boot-up.

ShortKayke

Yep reset the bios and still nothing. I cant believe a brand new power supply would be faulty. But in the same respect, I cant believe that my board's IDE or SATA port is faulty because it worked before, and to make matters worse, I HIGHLY doubt my 3 different drives (2 of which are new) all sh*t out at the same time

fmw

If you don't install a drive, the mainboard will POST and allow you to get into the BIOS. You have SATA drives and not iSCSI drives. If you connect the SATA cables you get the same result. If you connect one or more of the drives to the power supply, the mainboard won't boot, whether the SATA cables are connected or not. If I have all that right then there are only two possibilities. Either the drives are causing a short circuit at the power connector or the power supply has internal problems. The first thing I would do is try another power supply.