WIndows 10 Cannot open Windows 95 game settings on Windows 10, need help...

Spence

So in 2017 I was able to play my favorite retro PC game, Blood. After updating the new OS to Windows 10, I am unable to open a Setup file that happen to be an "Application (.EXE)" that allows me to configure the controls to the mouse; using the mouse for looking and shooting rendering the keyboard usage for the functions very inconvenient and also useless. Whenever trying to open this Setup file this message pops up "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." Grant it that even when searching for a newer version the latest version is offered on Steam which is where I originally downloaded it from. I am no where near computer savvy as far as these issues go but a lot of running around has led me to possibly downloading an Windows 95 app but would like to get some information and guidance before doing so. This is my favorite game in the entire world so please help me as I miss playing this all American classic.

P.S. The game will run fine, it is just the settings I am unable to open.

-Spence

AlienMenace

If this game is an 8-bit game (like most MS-DOS games were), instead of a 32-bit game, it will not run on a 64-bit system without a game emulator. And it still might not work.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If this game is an 8-bit game (like most MS-DOS games were), instead of a 32-bit game, it will not run on a 64-bit system without a game emulator. And it still might not work.
A Windows 95 application is probably 32 bit, but I suspect the real issue is in what api abuse was allowed then vs now. Comparability settings as suggested by TheRealSweede can help, but often they don't because you need a layer that looks like Windows 95.

Can you use a Virtual box Windows 95 VM maybe? Allocating 256MB of RAM to it should be a ton.

Dimitri

I used to play original Tetris on Win XP and when I went to Win10 it would no longer work. Are you saying it might work on a 32 bit version of Win10?