Cannot renew ip address

deaths soul

Hello, I cannot connect to the internet with an ethernet cord it worked fine for a while then my internet went out one nnight and now i cannot connect with it or renew my ip address, but i can connect to my wireless router fine. Any help would be nice.
Thanks, Josh

deaths soul

I did switch ethernet cables and it does the same thing it was working fine last night then my internet went out for like 5 mins and i clicked renew ip address, and now i cannot renew it or connect to the internet with an ethernet cable.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
go to START, RUN, type cmd, hit ENTER, type ipconfig /renew, if it comes up with something telling you that the media is discannected then you have a problem with your card.

Have you tried creating a new conencion and starting from scratch, what about system restore to a few days before the problem started.

deaths soul

Ok yes i tried connected directly to modem didnt work, and i when i typed ipconfig /renew it does say media is disconnected

alanuofm

VIP Member
could possibly be a bad nic. always try to be safe and make sure drivers are installed. i've had customers somehow delete their drivers. make sure the NIC is still seated correctly. other than that try a different NIC

deaths soul

I dont see how anything could of happened to it, i was using ethernet cord fine last night and then my internet went out i clicked renew ip then it stoped working, i dunno what could of happened.

alanuofm

VIP Member
computers don't work flawlessly. things happen. if you checked all the stuff listed already then maybe your NIC went bad.

deaths soul

Ok when i do run/cmd then ipconfig /renew it says "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 2 : Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out

deaths soul

Ok well i fixed the problem i think i changed the link speed and duples mode to 10mbps full duplex but 10mbps half duplex works also they both seem to be about the same speed and work the same, can anyone tell me why this was causing the problem?