Cannot Run MS Windows Recovery CD

cbvalden

I have a HP Pavilion 512w with MS Windows ME operating system. Recently I began receiving lots of error messages regarding a device driver. Last weekend I tried to log on and got the black screen with the following error message: "NTLDR is compressed. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart." I had this problem about 2 months ago, and obtained a recovery disk from HP which I was able to run and restore the system. I tried to run the recovery disk again on Sunday, and now all I see is the NTLDR error message. I can access the Phoenix BIOS startup screen (F1), but nothing else (i.e., pressing F8 repeatedly doesn't produce any results). In the Phoenix BIOS startup utility, I can change the boot device order, but the computer doesn't seem to read the CD drive -- the light flashes once or twice on the drive, then the monitor shows the NTLDR error message again.

Any suggestions?

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
you have your hd compressed! the windows boot files cant be read when compressed. If you can make boot disk and boot to windows, decompress your drive, then in the msconfig/boot.ini tab they have a button to check the paths, do it to repair the boot.ini, you should be good to go then.

PS. not sure about ME, don't know if it uses a boot.ini, so maybe i'm wrong... :confused: