Cannot save file...read only

Mike

Copied Microsoft word file to CD-RW. When I try to make changes to the file on the CD I get the message:

"Cannot save the file. The file exists and is marked read-only. Save the file with a another file name or to another location."

This file was never set up as a "read-only" so I can't figure why it won't let me save any changes. I even tried, as the message suggested, saving the file using another file name and to a different location but had no luck there either. Anybody got any ideas about what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

SFR

Truth fears no questions
It is not like a hard drive or floppy disk.. I do think Xp has support to directly burn onto a cd-r(w) media... never looked into it..

But the way to go about it is through software like Roxio or Nero.. etc..

It is not like a hard drive or floppy drive where you can directly save files onto your cd-rw.

You can use the software to add files to the cd-rw on more than one occasion by making a data cd with multiple sessions.

Last edited:

weixifan

Yes...like SFR said, the CD-RW disk is made of one long and tiny physical spiral, engrained in which is the information. Since this is a continuous physical track like a vinyl record, you can't directly write over part of the track--that would make it discontinuous. If the original file on the CD-RW is smaller than the file you're trying to save, then it's physically impossible to shift the track further down to make room for the addition.

You can make an entirely new track or append to the original track (if the data disk is multi-sessioned), however. Have a third-party disk-burning software do that for you. The CD-RW's reflective material is designed so that a certain high temperature over a small region can engrain a single dent, but with a different configuration it can re-melt the ridge on either side of the dent so that the dent can be filled with the reflective substance; however it does so with a slight imperfection. And so, over time, the CD-RW reflective surface is no longer planar and new data writes loses integrity and quality.