Cannot stream to TV through HDMI

killykilly

I used to use a HDMI cable all the time to stream from my previous laptop (Samsung) to TV (Samsung). Now I've bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron) but when connecting it to the TV with the HDMI cable a message appears on the TV screen "resolution mode not supported, change the resolution". The default resolution of the new laptop is 1920x1080, when I saw the message I changed it to the lowest possible one (800x600) and picture appeared on the TV screen briefly but then stopped working and I've been unable to get it to work again even though I've tried the majority of available resolutions, including one that used to work on my previous laptop (1366x768 refresh rate 59p or 60p Hz). Is there anything else I could try, is there any solution?

killykilly

The TV is set as the display device and it normally starts displaying automatically with the old laptop, it is just with the new one that it keeps saysing "resolution mode not supported" even when the resolution settings are exactly the same as with the old laptop...

Darren

Staff member
Set it to extend displays rather than duplicate or on just one. Then set the resolution to match the TV, likely 1080p

killykilly

Thank you for your help, I have tried extending the display, unfortunately the result is exactly the same, I just keep getting the same error message "mode not supported. resolution not supported" even though I've tried changing different setting and different possible resolutoins (including 1080) in the dual display menu again. My TV model is UE32EH6030KXXU so it should support FHD and it seems it does not support any resolution I try...

Darren

Staff member
Is there an "auto adjust" or some kind of aspect ratio button on the remote for the TV?

killykilly

I can't see auto adjust but I think this may be a good idea to try to examine the TV settings more as I've got no more settings to try on the laptop anyway lol I've contacted Samsung perhaps they will advise me about that, thank you for your help