cant access my own files )-:

slorryy

Hi people
My pc mother board became faulty, so i bought a new machine
I took the hard disk out my old pc and made it a slave in the new pc
When I go to “documents and settings” then click my folder, i can’t access it, it says access denied.

I had a password on my windows settings on my old pc, how would I access my files now, it does not ask me for a password or anything, just access denied.
I can access the files of my bothers account fine, his did not have a password on the old pc.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
You cannot plug and play hard drives. If you have 2000, the loading will go and then stop right before the screen, XP will not load at all. Windows 98 + 95 can (I have tried.). I would recommend you to get the same mobo and replace it to get the files back (if their extremely important)

slorryy

this works woo hoo

boot the new system in safe mode, with your old drive attached as the secondary hdd (you want to boot the new copy of the OS.)

now, in my computer, open the old drive, right click on docs and settings. Now select properties, then select security.
select advanced, then owner, and change the owner to the one the one thats on the primary drive. make sure to check
the boxes at the bottom to do the subcontainers and such. click apply, wait a while (depending on how much data you have),
then click ok, etc, etc until your back at the desktop.

That should do it for ya.

This is avail in both xp home, and pro.

will work for any folder (I use this technique at least 2-3 times a day at work to recover data for customers).

if you have vista installed as the new os, I believe it will ask you to take ownership if you try to access an protected folder.
if so, just follow the prompts!

The error you get trying to boot the old drive on the new hardware is because the HDD controllers are different,
and the right drivers are not loaded.