Cant advance Ubuntu installation

jutnm

Im trying to install ubuntu onto my system and cant get past this step. The Continue button is cut off . Ive tried every trick and move and cant figure out how to do this. Anyone know how to fix this ?

Thanks Capture.PNG

beers

Staff member
You can tab over and hit space but you have to educated guess at it slightly.

Alternatively there are resolution settings in the VM configuration.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Or, pressing enter is usually pretty universal for next. I believe you also have a mouse active in the Ubuntu installer so you could probably drag the window around to see the next button.

spirit

Staff member
I am sure that Ubuntu requires a password too. I may be wrong.
+1 I'm pretty sure you have to make a password for your account when installing Ubuntu, even if you don't want one. I remember this used to really annoy me.

@jutnm Have you tried typing one?

DMGrier

VIP Member
If it is a resolution issue then you could try booting into the live desktop and then trying to install from there. Being in the live desktop will allow you to adjust your resolution and if running a nvidia or radeon graphics card you can install your proprietary graphics drivers to smooth this issue.

SpriteMidr

If it is a resolution issue then you could try booting into the live desktop and then trying to install from there. Being in the live desktop will allow you to adjust your resolution and if running a nvidia or radeon graphics card you can install your proprietary graphics drivers to smooth this issue.

The issue is that either he has not input a password, which I believe unless Ubuntu installer now asks you to set up a root account like Fedora does; you have to input a password. @johnb35 was stating that it looks like his resolution is screwed up, which from his screenshot, suggests that the system is either being installed via some sort of display forwarding client to another pc, or a hypervisor is being used. If so, it would be the hypervisor settings, which unless he is using hyper-v (which I have not tried, so you may be right), specific VM-host drivers would exist, rather than ones for physical hardware, such as Intel, ATI, AMD or Nvidia.

Citing this source, it seems that for Ubuntu and Kubuntu, you can press [CTRL] [ALT] [+] and [CTRL] [ALT] [-] to alter the screen resolution. HOWEVER, if the installer is just being awkward, and wont let you proceed, this could be due to the fact that the ISO you, (the OP) downloaded originally got fragmented or corrupted, or the disk writer (if you are running from a DVD) scribbled whilst burning and corrupted the disk, which would also maybe explain the issues detecting the screen.

IIRC ubuntu has a command line installer somewhere. Maybe you should try that.

DMGrier

VIP Member
The CTRL ALT + or - button is a good to know trick and thanks for sharing that. I did not answer the password subject as others above did mention, however the OP's issue was the screen was cut off so I just answered the screen issue. The password requirement is not just a Ubuntu or Fedora thing, this is a Linux thing. Root permissions in concept are similar to UAC however are completely designed differently. Every Unix/Unix like system requires a password as that is how root authentication works. You can opt to auto login but the password is there for once logged on to a system to do changes like installing/removing packages, changes system file permissions, repository managment, etc.