Can't Connect To Certain Sites

Tyster

HELP!

When I try to access this site on my laptop thru Chrome or ANY web browser I get this message:

"This site can't provide a secure connection.

www.computerforum uses an unsupported protocol.

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure."

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

BTW, I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop.

Thank you everyone.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its because you are using XP, a very outdated Operating System, with an outdated browser trying to access websites. There is not one single browser that still supports XP I don't think. You'll need to upgrade to a more modern operating system. Windows 7 should be okay for a while yet.

beers

Staff member
As above, XP is antiquated and is considered completely insecure. The error you're getting is due to the OS not supporting the cipher suite of the site, as it enforces modern standards.

See the following from SSL Labs:
Chrome 49 / XP SP3 Server sent fatal alert: handshake_failure

There's no ECDSA support in XP so you're unable to connect. I'd consider using a more modern OS.

Tyster

Its because you are using XP, a very outdated Operating System, with an outdated browser trying to access websites. There is not one single browser that still supports XP I don't think. You'll need to upgrade to a more modern operating system. Windows 7 should be okay for a while yet.

Thank you so much for all of your help John!!

Tyster

As above, XP is antiquated and is considered completely insecure. The error you're getting is due to the OS not supporting the cipher suite of the site, as it enforces modern standards.

See the following from SSL Labs:
Chrome 49 / XP SP3 Server sent fatal alert: handshake_failure

There's no ECDSA support in XP so you're unable to connect. I'd consider using a more modern OS.

Thank you so much for your help!!