Can't connect to internet after Win10 crash

Dimitri

EDIT 4:

Fixed it!

What did it is that I ran command prompt as administrator and then typed in those two commands that you'll find in the first youtube result when you type in this problem.
----------------------------------------
Win10 went to the blue screen of death, as it has many times before, except that this time after the restart I can't connect to the internet any more.

Windows also reports, all of a sudden, that Windows Firewall is not running. Now, I THINK I didn't even have it running before, but in any event I certainly wasn't getting this message before.

I tried pulling out and putting back in the LAN cable.

My other computer can connect normally.

The router light for my computer (the one that can't connect) is shining, indicating that it is connected to the router.

I can't reach the router through 192.168.1.1

Device manager doesn't show any problem with the network card.

EDIT:

I went into network connections and it reports that something called the Diagnostic Policy Service is not running.

EDIT 2:

I went into services and tried starting this manually, but I get error 5 "access is denied."

THen I tried what appears to be the standard advice in these situations, which is to go to command prompt and type in two commands, but when I try them, same thing, error 5 access is denied.

EDIT 3:

I tried the following to remove error 5, but not joy:

If the error is related to the Diagnostic Policy Service, follow these steps:
  1. Click the Start button, then type regedit in the Search box.
  2. Right click regedit.exe, then click Run as administrator. If prompted, enter your user name and password and click OK.
  3. Browse to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters
  4. Right click the key, and click Permissions.
  5. Under Group or user names, select your account.
  6. Under the Allow column in Permissions, make sure the Full Control and Read boxes are checked.
  7. Click Apply, then click OK.

Last edited: