Can't connect to internet on 2nd computer

Jacob Macari

I had an HP 580 for 6 moths, then I moved into a new house with bad internet connection but I had no issues for 2.5 months, then suddenly one day my internet didn't work. When I re-started the computer or turned it off and on it would work. I tried everything, got an extender, connected through my extender hard wired, HP serviced my computer, they found no issues. I got fed up and bought a new computer today. An hour in, I had the same issue. I have a tablet next to me, it never loses connection, but now the new computer goes in and out. My internet toolbar shows full strength all of the time, even when I have no connection.

What can be the issue? One HP technician told me since I had a high end model that if it doesn't get a strong connection to the internet it won't work? The last error message I had was proxy issue dns.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into control panel, click on internet options, click on connections tab, Click on lan settings, make sure proxy server box is unchecked and automatically detect settings is checked. Other then that, you may have a malware issue.

Jacob Macari

How can I have malware issues on an old computer and then a brand new computer?

I checked those settings and I am good. The computer actually has been running perfectly again since my cable company reset the modem, I thought it they were crazy when they said that if I don't have a strong connection the computer might show that it is connected to the internet but it is not.

Any other ideas, anybody ever heard of this situation?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible whatever programs you have downloaded and installed could have piggybacked malware on it. HP lies to their customers. If this computer is hardwired into the router then you shouldn't be having any internet problems. If its wireless, then maybe its a driver or router issue.

Jacob Macari

It is currently wireless. I had the cable company re-boot the router and its been good since then. Like I said one HP technician told me with these high end models slow internet will kill the connection, sounds like bs but has been the case so far.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like whatever is sending the wireless signal isn't the best. It could be having a hard time negotiating with the type of security you have setup.