Can't connect to Secure Networks

speedyink

VIP Member
I'm trying to connect an IBM T41 to a secure wireless network, and it says connecting for about 30 seconds, then just disappears and doesn't connect. I'm using an updated XP Pro SP2. I can connect to unsecure networks fine (though the only one has one bar and doesn't work very well). I feel like a noob with windows XP now :eek: I'm typing the passcode as a word, so not hex or anything. We're using WEP security. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

soccerdude

What program are you using to access the network? Think Vantage Access Connections or Windows built in software?

soccerdude

That's strange...

Try using the Think Vantage Access Connections. If the computer doesn't already have it installed, download it from Lenovo's website. Also make sure you have the newest driver for the wireless card.

speedyink

VIP Member
Thats what I tried originally cause thats what it was defaulted as, and it would just constantly say that the adapter was turned off, even after repeated attempts to turn it on. The windows one actually detects hotspots, so thats what I've been using.

The adapter might just be buggered...

soccerdude

Not sure if this will help but press Fn and F5. Then click on Wireless Radio at the top. Click on Power on, then click on Find Wireless Network and click on the network you would like to connect to.

You can also try clicking on the ThinkVantage Access Connections in the taskbar. Then click on Modify Wlan Settings and then fill out what needs to be filled out.

Last edited: