Can't connect with ethernet

bluedishwasher

hi there
when i connect my computer directly to my router using a yellow crossover cable or ethernet cable the connection connects, then it hangs on "acquiring network address" before resigning itself to limited conenctivity, apparently the network can't assign a network address.
The connection can send bytes to the router but isn't recieving any, i have tried 2 different routers and i have turned all of my firewalls etc off and still no luck.
does anyone have a solution?
any help appreciated :D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Forget about the router for a while, connect modem directly to computer and make sure you can get internet and surf. If you can't connect then your problem lies with the modem, not the router. You should be using a standard cat 5 cable between router and computer, not a crossover cable.

Vipernitrox

there's probably nothing wrong with the modem. Your not getting an ip, that has nothing to do with your modem. I would try connecting to the router via another cable. Get a laptop or something and go sit next to it.
If that works it's either the cable or the computer trying to connect. You can rule out the cable by connecting a laptop to it and to see if it works. And you can rule out the computer by inserting another pci network card into it.
Go try it all out and report back here.

danoo

have you tried to fixe your ip? without using the dhcp

Try an other computer on the same connection on the routeur

Vampiric Rouge

The modem doesn't matter at this point. your router connection is what you need to worry about first when getting limited connectivity. Is it possible that your router doesn't have it set up the auto DHCP, If so then it will not give out IP addresses.

Are there any other computers connected to the router?

bluedishwasher

thanks for so many replies! i can connect fine when using a laptop using the same cable, so that rules out the cable so i guess the problem must be with my computer.
i don't have another network card, only the built in one. Also my xbox 360 is connected using the same cable and that works fine too, so i'm 100% it's not the cable

Vampiric Rouge

The fact that your XBox and Laptop can both connect with out issues not only rules out the cable but the router too.

IMHO I would say you have a bad/dead NIC. If you feel like playing with it you can try updated drivers but ultimately it seems you will need to buy a new NIC. You can get an internal one(On that plugs in the inside of your case to your motherboard) or you can get an external one(one that plugs into your USB slot)

l8ians

Hi bluedishwasher,

Instead of getting a new NIC card. We can do one important step here. Try chaning the link speed of the NIC card of the computer.

Step 1: Connect the same computer to the router.
Step 2: Go to network connection- Local area connection.
Step 3: Right click on that icon and click on properties.
Step 4: Then click on "Configuartion" Button in that window and click on "Advanced" Tab.
Step 5: There you can see two options "Property and Value".
Step 6: Change the property as "Link speed, speed and duplex" any one option and change the value as 10 mbps half duplex.
Step 7: After changing the value click on ok and apply.
Step 8: Restart the computer and check for the connectivity.

This is also one of the step to do with limited or no connectivity.

Thanks and Regards

L8ians