Can't copy photos off of iPhone 6

The VCR King

I am trying to get some pictures off of my iPhone 6 and into my gaming PC but when I drag and drop the video/image files from the phone it won't copy them and I get an error message saying "The data supplied is of wrong type". Before the last iOS update I could transfer pictures fine and CrappleCare support hasn't worked.

The VCR King

Copying and pasting worked perfect, thank you! I don't know why dragging and dropping doesn't work, though. Kinda odd...

Darren

Staff member
Personally I find using something like Dropbox to be easier. Share to Dropbox, and then it's downloaded on your PC.

I kind of dismissed cloud storage when it first started gaining traction. Didn't see much use for it. Now that I'm in college and have a lot of stuff going on and use two computers and a phone, I have no idea how I would get by without. All my school stuff is on OneDrive and I bounce between my desktop at home and my laptop for notes and being on campus. And I can view anything on my phone too, which helps a ton. Also useful for just tossing files between my machines.

I started using it for pictures too, but OneDrive isn't the best at dealing with pictures. I'd probably look into other cloud storage but I use OneNote and Windows 10 just kind of pushed me into it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I jumped on the Mediafire bandwagon in high school then got Dropbox in college.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
I kind of dismissed cloud storage when it first started gaining traction. Didn't see much use for it. Now that I'm in college and have a lot of stuff going on and use two computers and a phone, I have no idea how I would get by without.

Back in the old days when I was in college which was before cloud storage was mainstream I ran an FTP server so that I could access all of my stuff where ever I needed it. I still find that I prefer to use a vpn client to access data that I store on my own servers instead of relying heavily on cloud storage. I guess with all of the legal what not floating around about what the government can and can't force out of tech companies I'm a little paranoid. Not that I'm doing anything illicit, I'm just distrustful.

Geoff

VIP Member
Back in the old days when I was in college which was before cloud storage was mainstream I ran an FTP server so that I could access all of my stuff where ever I needed it. I still find that I prefer to use a vpn client to access data that I store on my own servers instead of relying heavily on cloud storage. I guess with all of the legal what not floating around about what the government can and can't force out of tech companies I'm a little paranoid. Not that I'm doing anything illicit, I'm just distrustful.
I think one of the problems is when you use your home server, especially if you use FTP, it's very insecure unless you have a solid understanding of network security, firewalls, etc. (and even then, FTP is one of the least secure methods of file transfer). On my Synology NAS I had certain ports open to the outside so I can access my data via SFTP, CIFS, or AFP/SMP when local. I also had reporting available that would send me an email and block IPs if 5 attempts were made and failed to gain access to my system. Since I never advertised my IP and only recently got it setup, I was getting hundreds of attacks per week trying to gain access to my data. I'd trust companies such as Dropbox to securely hold my data and have a team dedicated to monitoring and preventing breaches over a home-brewed NAS solution available to the outside. Of course you do have the potential for government and subpoena Dropbox for your info.

Cloud storage is pretty cheap these days, you can get 1TB of data per month for anywhere from $5+ per month, which is a lot cheaper than paying the electric bill on a home server.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Yeah, I had the brute force problem as well and used the same solution. The other thing that helped me curb the issue was to change it to run on a non standard port. Security by obscurity isn't security but it stopped the attacks because they're just automated programs people use to crawl the Internet looking for unsuspecting people with weak systems.

I don't run FTP anymore, just use a VPN these days.