Can't Delete Folder Due To Message Saying "File Is Open In Another Program" (ASUS Software)

Guitarist54

The ASUS Aura software for my ASUS B250F motherboard was working fine until I downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak II for my ASUS GTX 1070 TURBO, for some reason it reset the lighting on my motherboard back to its default rainbow setting, I went into The ASUS Aura software to change it back to the way it was before, I was using the software without an issue up until I hit "Apply" the software froze so I had to quit it in the task manager, I tried again and the same thing happened so I decided to delete ASUS GPU Tweak II which didn't resolve the issue, I then proceeded to delete the ASUS Aura software and then tried re-installing it again, all it did was make a duplicate of the files with in the original zip folder, so I deleted all the duplicates, now I just want to delete the entire ASUS folder and start over but every time I try It gives me a message saying that it can't delete the folder due to "file is open in another program" I tried right clicking, selecting properties and turning off "read only" like many forums have suggested but it keeps turning back on, I even tried going into the CPU tab in "Resource Monitor" and searching for ASUS in "Associate Handles" like many forums have also suggested, I right clicked on a few things within the results and clicked "End Process" some of them would allow me to end them and others wouldn't. I've dealt with this kind of thing before and when I click "read only" it has always stayed off, the ASUS website is protected by Secure https and I scanned the folder with "windows defender and it didn't find any viruses/malware", my problem only started occurring after installing ASUS GPU Tweak II and other forums I have since looked at have said that it can cause the ASUS Aura software to freeze.

Agent Smith

Look in your services. The Asus program probably installed a service that you need to stop. If that doesn't help run Autoruns from Microsoft and look for anything that is starting up with your computer related to that software and disable it. DON'T DELETE IT unless you can't uninstall the software the normal way. I would use Revo uninstaller to rid the program from your computer. Use advanced mode in Revo Uninstaller.

On a side note you mention HTTPS. That means NOTHING about whether a website is safe or not. All that means is that your connection to the website is encrypted. Nothing more. It does not guarantee you won't get malware. Anybody can create a malicious website with a Java Script payload to off load ransomware or something else on to your computer. Note, I'm not suggesting the Asus website is full of malware or that the program you installed was. Just wanted to let you know what HTTPS was.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Guitarist54

Look in your services. The Asus program probably installed a service that you need to stop. If that doesn't help run Autoruns from Microsoft and look for anything that is starting up with your computer related to that software and disable it. DON'T DELETE IT unless you can't uninstall the software the normal way. I would use Revo uninstaller to rid the program from your computer. Use advanced mode in Revo Uninstaller.

On a side note you mention HTTPS. That means NOTHING about whether a website is safe or not. All that means is that your connection to the website is encrypted. Nothing more. It does not guarantee you won't get malware. Anybody can create a malicious website with a Java Script payload to off load ransomware or something else on to your computer. Note, I'm not suggesting the Asus website is full of malware or that the program you installed was. Just wanted to let you know what HTTPS was.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Thanks for you're response thanks to you my issue is now solved(Revo Uninstaller works wonders), what I was getting at with the whole HTTPS thing was sites that have encrypted connections are usually owned\run by larger organisations who would most likely monitor their websites and the downloadable files within them making it harder for malicious content to be uploaded to a website and to stay on said website for very long . Thanks again.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

You're welcome!

As to HTTPS. Any hacker can upload diffrent content to the site regardless if it's using SSL or not. The best way to make sure a file you download is legit is to use a program called HashCalc and if they provide a MD5 or SHA hash compare the numbers. I would also upload the file you download to Virus Total where you will be provided a hash of the file as well and any previous scans.

Never think just because the website uses encryption that they have safe files and all this. I have encryption on my websites and it cost me nothing since I use LetsEncrypt.