Cant diagnose issues. Black screen after start up

Dan1985uk

ochrqf4gz
https://s21.postimg.org/ochrqf4gz/

Hi there guys I am stumped and need advise. My pc was working fine 3 days ago and all of a sudden the screen went black but monitor light stayed blue. I reset and all I get is the first boot screen with my system specs.

I tried reseating all my ram after friends suggested it might be that. Tried every stick on its own in a combination of slots. Nothing. Still can't get past this first screen. Obviously isn't the monitor.

Is my motherboard or cpu in trouble ? I tried resetting cmos via the button on the motherboard and I took the battery out for 1 hour. The start up screen says warning cpu has been changed? But it hasn't it's still in there.

I can't even seem to get into safe mode .

Specs are

Windows 10 pro
X58 ftw3 evga
i7 930
12gb ddr3
Gtx 970
Corsair cxm 600w pay
1tb hdd
600gb ssd
Blu ray drive

Any advise would be great even if it's to confirm my worries that my cpu might be dead. Hopefully it's that and not my motherboard . I've looked it over inside and reseated power cables etc and none of the caps look blown. Thanks .[/URL]

Edit . I should mention that I am unable to get into the bios at all as well.

Dan1985uk

Ok that's fine I just want a few more people to back up that theory. Any reason you think motherboard and not cpu?

_Glitch

For one, motherboards are more likely to die than CPU's.
Secondly, It's at least capable of showing the posting screen. The few fried CPU's i come across on forums, wasn't capable of anything.

Do you smell any metallic odor btw?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect all hardware to rule out bad devices, such as hdd, DVD drive, etc. Sometimes it will stop loading on bad hard drives.

Dan1985uk

Disconected everything except mouse and keyboard. Same result as before. And I can definitely smell something burnt maybe metallic around the cpu . That's without my ssd my hdd and my bd-rw.

Dan1985uk

Unfortunately just around it. My heatsink needs a flathead to get it off ( ikr ) and I don't have one but I took its fan off and get close and that smell is nowhere else on the motherboard .

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove cpu and find out what is burnt. Probably gonna need at least a new motherboard.

_Glitch

Yeah, this isn't sounding good for ya.
But at least you will have a good excuse for upgrading to Kaby Lake :)

mistersprinkles

But at least you will have a good excuse for upgrading to Kaby Lake :)

o_O:rolleyes::confused:

amd-lisa-su-holding-ryzen-100709917-large.jpg

secondcomming1.jpg

Yay, wary traveller. Ryzen is the way and the light.

Seriously though. Gotta either buy Ryzen, or wait for Intel to drop prices MAJORLY to stay competitive. I think Intel will still run with slightly higher prices because their name resonates more with the average Joe "I just bought a PC at Best Buy" consumer.

Seriously though, right now, $330ish gets you a 4 core 8 thread i7 OR an 8 core 16 thread Ryzen.

Admittedly that's the lower TDP sku, but it still crushes the i7 in multithreaded. If you want to be able to overclock and have max perf you can pick up the next SKU up the ladder.