Can't extend C: Drive

Micaiah

Windows 10 keeps begging me to upgrade. However, my C: Drive is too full. I have tried EVERYTHING to extend the C: Drive, to no avail. I'm not well, so I'm not able to invest a great amount of brain power into learning new things. Please, is there a straight-forward way to merge C; and D:, or to extend C:, etc. Thanks!

1641251206352.png

Attachments

• 1641251042615.png
    1641251042615.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can't extend C drive because there is no other partition on that drive to extend into. D drive is a separate drive all together. You'll need to buy a bigger drive or move files from C drive to D drive. I'm assuming drive C is a120gb SSD? 120gb is too small even for just a boot drive, 250gb or so should be the smallest you use.

Micaiah

Thank you, Friend!

Is it possible to then transfer the entire contents of C: to D:, OS, Programs, Apps, etc., without having to re-install everything?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
About the only thing you can transfer would be any personal files like pictures, music, documents. When you install a program it creates registry entries that are required for the program to work correctly. If you move programs from 1 drive to the other they may not work correctly. My advice would be get a 250gb ssd and clone the smaller to the bigger.

Micaiah

I'm in an inexpensive laptop, so I don't think that'd be possible. Sounds like I'll have to get a shop to install Windows 11 onto D:, and then I'll re-install everything. (I've already downloaded the contents of C: to an External Hard Drive. If it's not one thing, it's another! ;-) ). Thanks for your help!

Darren

Staff member
I mean do you need Windows 11? 120GB is kinda small for an OS drive but unless you are unable to do basic updates, there's zero reason to nuke everything just to get on W11. I have zero intentions of upgrade to 11, and I know I'm not alone.

Micaiah

I seem unable to update Windows and peripheral apps. And the constant nagging to get me to update is disconcerting. Makes me feel married. You suggest it's unnecessary?

Darren

Staff member
Windows updates you definitely want to be installing but the actual upgrade to Windows 11 you definitely don't need.

What does your windows update interface look like? This is mine, for example. Notice how it says I'm up to date (which you want) but the message on the side about Windows 11 not being compatible.

1641267112419.png

Do this so we can see what's filling up your C Drive. Go to the below link and download and install WinDirStat. Once done, right click on the icon for it and run as administrator (this is important for proper reporting). Then have it scan your C drive and post a screenshot of the results. It gives you a graphic representation of your file system and what is taking up space, making it easy to track down unneeded stuff.

Micaiah

If I don't need to update to 11, I'm delighted. It'd be an unwelcome expense. I'll see what I can do about updates on 10.

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your help! Bless you!