Can't find disk drive

Zeno

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 on a Compaq Presario CQ57 Notebook computer.

I just purchased a new 320GB SATA hard drive. I'm trying to connect the hard drive to the notebook computer using a BYTECC USB 2.0 DRIVE MATE adapter.

The adapter seems to be working I've been using it on an older style drive that has the pins.

However when I try using it with this new SATA drive it doesn't want to work. Although it appears that the adapter is working just fine.

Here's what I have so far. The drive powers up, and I can hear it running. It is also recognized by my USB.

Here's the strange part:

When I open Explorer and go to COMPUTER the drive is not listed.

However, if I go to DEVICES and PRINTERS the USB DRIVER MATE is shown as working properly and it lists this drive as working properly.

Also if I go to DEVICE MANAGER and look under DISK DRIVES, this drive shows up as a USB DRIVE and is "working properly".

But it isn't showing up in Explorer as a disk drive on this computer?

I don't understand why it isn't showing up. It's a brand new drive. It may need to be formatted or whatever, but shouldn't it still show up as a drive so that I can format it?

I can't seem to access it at all. Yet, it's being recognized as being attached and "working properly".

Why isn't this showing up in Explorer as a drive?

Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A brand new empty drive won't show up in windows until you partition and format it. Use disk management to do this.

Zeno

Thank you very much. That's all I needed to know. It's working just fine now.

I had no clue until I asked.