Can't Find Hard Drive

Happy_Demon

I have everything set up and ready for BIOS, but when I start up it is not finding the hard drive. I am wondering if I don't have everything set up correctly. First off, here is the stuff:

<>MOTHERBOARD<>
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130484

<>HARD DRIVE<>
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822140154

I have the red cable in this picture on the far left connected to it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...IA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

The motherboard's website calls it a "Round Cable," and I have the first part of the cable connected to the hard drive and the next connected to the CD-ROM.

I also have both of them attached to the same power cord as well.

Scrat

but when I start up it is not finding the hard drive.
Did you look under the couch for it? :D

You can use either the RED or the Orange cable.
RED...: It should be pluged into the HDD and to one of the 2 yellow sockets on the Motherboard(Use the one labled "IDE0"). Also check if your HDD has "Jumper" settings for 'Master' 'Slave' & 'Cable Select'... if it does, then put it on 'Master'. Turn the PC on and enter BIOS. In BIOS select AUTO as the type of HDD then save and exit...

Or,

ORANGE (SATA)....: Plug one end into the HDD, and the other end into the socket on the mother board (It looks like you have 8 SATA sockets on your Motherboard... 4 will be standard SATA and the other 4 will be for RAID SATA.. plug into the standard ones.) Turn on the PC and enter BIOS. Select AUTO as the HDD type. Save and exit. If installing an OS on the HDD you may need a SATA Driver Diskette.

Trizoy

VIP Member
When you say the computer cant find the hard drive, do you mean the bios? or... windows? What I am getting to is you will need to partition and format the drive before windows can see it. Bios should be able to see it. What you will have to do is get a dos boot disc, win 98 etc. plop in the disc and when the a: comes up type "fdisk"
Make sure only the drive you want to format and partition is connected. Go through the steps. When your done and computer restrars go back to the a:\ and type "format c:" Hope it helps

Happy_Demon

I did have it plugged in to IDE0 and got it to BIOS, but when I put it on auto it is not finding anything. I am not sure how to check if it is on master or slaver though. The motherboard's instruction booklet said that the master should be plugged into IDE0 and the slaver attached to the same cable though.

abananaman

If you're still on the IDE cable-
To check if the drive is on Master setting, take out the h/d, on the back there should be a set of about 8 pins with a jumper somewhere in them (will be very close to where you plug the IDE cable into). Look at the top of the drive and on the big sticker there should be a diagram of that set of pins. There are several settings for master, slave, and cable select. Pick the one that's master and put the jumper on that way. Next- do the same thing for your cd-drive, but put it on slave. Boot-up, and see what results you get.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have everything set up and ready for BIOS, but when I start up it is not finding the hard drive. I am wondering if I don't have everything set up correctly. First off, here is the stuff:
Did you plug it into the RAID connector or the normal connector? With the RAID connectors you may have to enable RAID to see them

Happy_Demon

I changed the hard drive to master and the CD-ROM to slave, booted up the computer, and am getting the same stuff. The CD-ROM is getting power and will open and close. I have put in Windows XP and a CD that came with the motherboard, but nothing happens, if anything is even supposed to.

I also checked the manual and it said that when it get to the first screen (a screen that says "Platinum" & below that says "Press [TAB] to go to POST, and [DEL] to enter BIOS) and then press F11 to bring up the "Select First Boot Device" Menu. However, when I try to do this it will just continue on to the next screen (a black screen with writing. . . I will get further information on this screen tommorrow when I turn it back on).

I am really not sure what I should be doing here and am quite lost.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
However, when I try to do this it will just continue on to the next screen (a black screen with writing. . .
Seems like your timing is off ... just keep pressing F11 at regular intervals (say twice per second) as soon as the system turns on