cant get 5.1 to work correctly

canteenboy

I have a soundblaster audigy 2 zs, and a 5.1 home theater system. When i enter the soundblaster speaker controls that appear in my quicklaunch bar, i activate 5.1, and test it. The sound comes out here just how i want it to, each channel is correct, and the volume is good. When i go into the control panel to set up all of those settings, i encounter problems. I go into this thing called CMI Audio Config and set all the settings to 5.1. When i test it, it only comes out of the front right and front left. I have no idea what to do. I would be very glad if someone would take the time to help me out with my stupid problem.

Thankyou

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When i enter the soundblaster speaker controls that appear in my quicklaunch bar, i activate 5.1, and test it. The sound comes out here just how i want it to, each channel is correct, and the volume is good. When i go into the control panel to set up all of those settings,
Ok use one or the other but not both :)

i would be very glad if someone would take the time to help me out with my stupid problem.
Is windows setup to use 5.1 surround? (again use either the windows controls or the creative controls)

canteenboy

i did not know that i could choose. How do i disable the cmi audio config, since it doesnt seem to be working for me?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i did not know that i could choose. How do i disable the cmi audio config, since it doesnt seem to be working for me?
Avoid the windows controlls altogether, does runnign just the Creative SoundMixer and such work right? :)

canteenboy

yes they do.
I just tried running doom 3, and i get correct 5.1 from that. When i try to play a dvd, it is trying to do 5.1, but sound only comes out from the front right and left speakers. I dont hear whats infront of me or in back. I set it up to 5.1 in the dvd menu and everything.